LED Experimental Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
LED Experimental Tank

i am going to set up a tank, approximately 10 gallons, same size as the ADA 45p (18" long x 10.5" wide x 12" tall). here is my basic design of the LED fixture:

the LED color is going to be 6000k, aka cold white. 125lm per led, 1w consumption per. to get the same luminous output of a 36w PC bulb, use 15-18w of led.

here is the LED i will be using 15 of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Prolight-1W-Hi...QQcmdZViewItem

i cant find a heat sink or a power source to accomadate 350mA LEDs and about 55volts of the LED's. if you have any recommendations for heat sinks (even the ones that hold a single LED) or power supplies, lemme know, because ive been looking all day

also, do i need a DC or AC power supply?

tell me what you think of the project!!!

Last edited by deleted_user_16; 12-01-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
For a heat sink, I'd be looking for an old amplifier. Heat sinks on the power transistors were generally large. Next I'd hit the salvage yard for aluminum angle pieces or sheets.
Good luck.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
For heat sinks go to heatsinkusa.com. I would recommend you go to nano-reef.com and read some of Evil66's LED threads. Personally I wouldn't use 1 watt LEDs. I would go for 3 watt Crees which can be found on Dealextreme.com. But that is just me and I have a reefing background.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the only reason i a m going to be using 1 watt leds is because then to get the same lumen amount as a 36w pc, you need 15 1w leds, i could use 5 3w, but that lighting would be in patches. i was planning for a 18 gallon tank with 5x 3w and 15x1w. the 1w mainly to fill in gaps. also, can you use only an aluminum sheet as a heatsink?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this thread is in continuation from this btw:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ork-not-6.html
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
check out these leds
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/3156_57_specs.htm
you can get them at any auto part store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I notice you live within driving distance from Sacramento, where there is a great store selling surplus aluminum extrusions at a very low price. The store is http://www.bluecollar-supply.com/metals.nxg. I don' t know for sure that they have something suitable for a heat sink, but I would be astonished if they didn't. There are probably equally good stores like this in the Bay area too, so I would look around there first.

Hoppy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
just curious why you need a heat sink.. LEDs burn temp is pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

LED's burn cool in comparison to what? PC, and MH. They still put out heat when in combination of 10-15 will build up fast killing the LED. Aluminum is the standard for LED mounting because it wicks away heat really well and is cheap in comparison to some of the other metals. I have heard of people just mounting on aluminum plates in a fixture with a fan or two. But in all seriousness why go cheap on a heatsink to save a few dollars and risk blowing out all the LEDs. Not only do you risk wasting all the money but the labor as well. Mounting and soldering is time consuming....

I do now understand why you are going with 1 watt LEDs makes sense. You may need to get optics to optimize the light....But they are cheap and can be added afterwards if needed.

I keep forgetting this is freshwater plant aquariums. I am going to build mine for a SW sea horse tank with macro and coral...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
check out these leds
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/3156_57_specs.htm
you can get them at any auto part store.
interesting, maybe i hsould check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I notice you live within driving distance from Sacramento, where there is a great store selling surplus aluminum extrusions at a very low price. The store is http://www.bluecollar-supply.com/metals.nxg. I don' t know for sure that they have something suitable for a heat sink, but I would be astonished if they didn't. There are probably equally good stores like this in the Bay area too, so I would look around there first.
i found a good heatsink 28.75 though, now to save ccash i need to get a cheap power supply, any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk1_99 View Post
LED's burn cool in comparison to what? PC, and MH. They still put out heat when in combination of 10-15 will build up fast killing the LED. Aluminum is the standard for LED mounting because it wicks away heat really well and is cheap in comparison to some of the other metals. I have heard of people just mounting on aluminum plates in a fixture with a fan or two. But in all seriousness why go cheap on a heatsink to save a few dollars and risk blowing out all the LEDs. Not only do you risk wasting all the money but the labor as well. Mounting and soldering is time consuming....

I do now understand why you are going with 1 watt LEDs makes sense. You may need to get optics to optimize the light....But they are cheap and can be added afterwards if needed.

I keep forgetting this is freshwater plant aquariums. I am going to build mine for a SW sea horse tank with macro and coral...
yup, they heat up a lot for leds, im going to use the heatsinkusa.com heatsinks btw.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

Well you need two things...drivers for the leds. I would suggest the dimmable buckpucks. If your lighting is too bright you can dim it down. You can find these at ledsupply.com

For the powersupply go to http://www.mpja.com.
Don't forget that the drivers loses voltage in the process so you need to add in 2-3 volts for each driver so add that in when adding up the voltage. Make sure it is a switching power supply. That will keep the voltage regulated.
This is the driver I am going to use with 8 blue cree, 1-2 red, and 6 white or so...http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=13657+PS

You can use a seperate power supply for the fans, a cheap wall wort should do the job if you can't work the power out of the led power supply.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i thought that a driver is the same thing as power supply, but driver makes it so you can change brightness.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

There are some drivers which are plug and play as powersupplies. Personally I would rather have the ability to dim than buy the plug and play. Plug and play will work as well. I just figure where I am already going to be spending big $ I might as well go with dimmable. That way I can play with the light color, reduce brightness if I cause excess algae growth....etc...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

update, going back to tank, lol, i change my mind a lot, anyway

about to buy 5 or 6 luxeon rebels for my 30c. and a heatsink and driver

wish me luck
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
wish me luck
Good luck

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode