120g going rimless, bracing question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
120g going rimless, bracing question.

So I bought this 120g tank for $40 a few months ago, its in ruff shape with some deep scratches and a need to be resealed. I didn't mind much. The ugly trim started to come off and seeing as I don't want to dump a lot into this I figured I would go rimless. Now I let someone in a FB group make me nerves and thinking the sides of the tank are going to blow out. The tank is 60x18x26 and built with 1/2" thick glass, it has 3 1/2" thick glass braces. The center brace is 12" wide and I guess fell off years ago according to the PO. It also has 2 6" wide side braces, but one was broken (3 peaces are left). Now the tank is bare with no trim or braces and I am about to reseal the tank. After that I will get a pair of 24" clamps and re-install the 12" center brace. My question is what to do about the side braces, should I just not worry about it seeing as they where added by a PO, or should I track down a replacement 1/2" thick 17x6 peace of glass?

According to the glass calculators the center brace is overkill, and I would think the tank would be fine with just it. However I got one person that has me worried it wont cut it now. What do you guys think.

RAOK Club Member #151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's a 120G Long. That's why they added the center brace. But I gotta say those are beastly dimensions for bracing. Right up there with the old Oceanic center brace. I have an old Oceanic 180G and it has the incredibly huge centerbrace. I wanna say it's 2 feet, but if I'm wrong it's not by much. So what you have essentially takes that 2 foot brace and cuts it up 3 ways for a tank that's 2/3 of the volume. If it were me, I would re-install the braces in the original arrangement, but at 2/3 the length. I agree the original bracing was overkill. By a bunch.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The center brace is original its the 2 side braces that where added by a PO. Would cutting one of the braces to replace the broken side brace work? I would have to find someone to cut them, but I am thinking ether cut the good side brace in half or cut 6" off the center brace? It is a older tank and a buddy at my LFS thinks its a Oceanic, if that helps at all.

BTW I love your signature, my roommate is starting to see that the tanks are making us some money so she has basically quit stopping me unless we really don't have the money to spend lol.

RAOK Club Member #151

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
OK, that explains the "extra braces". Oceanic only built those bigger tanks with a center glass brace. More like a shelf than a brace, but whatever works, I guess.

I think you have some choices.

Just replace the center brace in it's designed dimensions and remove the braces installed on the ends.

Replace the centerbrace and install chevrons in the corners.

Replace all three braces at 2/3 their original dimensions.

Eurobrace the tank perimeter and install a much small centerbrace - 6 inches.

If you can find a glass shop that will work with you, you already have a big chunk of what you would need to Eurobrace it. To be clear, lots of shops won't work with old glass or 1/2" glass. As I said earlier, this is probably the biggest hurdle folks face with project like this.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post

BTW I love your signature, my roommate is starting to see that the tanks are making us some money so she has basically quit stopping me unless we really don't have the money to spend lol.
The whole issue has "evolved" over the years. It's a rare occasion that she even steps foot in the fish room anymore. So when I get new fish, plants, supplies, tools, etc. it gets hidden in there until I can get it unpacked and in a tank or in the workshop. I almost always have stuff shipped to the office and I just sneak in through the basement with a quick drop-off in the fish room.

I couldn't hide the new band saw in there though.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode