DIY CO2 - Only lasts a few days. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 - Only lasts a few days.

My 2 Litre DIY system only lasts a few days at best. I just built a couple new bottles, they're air tight, no smell of yeast, look great and work perfectly for the first couple days. After that, it comes to a near crawl for a week and nothing.

My exact recipe/procedure is:
1 Cup White Sugar
1/4 TSP of Bread Machine (Instant) yeast
I mix the yeast in it's own water dish, gently, over the course of 5 minutes.

I put the sugar in, fill it just under halfway with water, shake shake shake, then pour in the yeast mixture and shake some more. After half an hour it produces CO2, after a couple hours it's going strong, after a couple days it's garbage.

Am I missing something here? My tap water is non-chlorinated well water and has 8-10dkH and around 7.4-7.6 pH. I figure I don't need baking soda since it already has some hardness to it. As much as I would love a pressurized system I don't have the $200 to spend on the setup right now, or likely ever for that matter.

Last edited by nexigen; 12-10-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am no expert but have been using a double 2 liter diy setup for about a year now with good success. My mixture is 1 tsp yeast with 2 cups sugar in each bottle. Mine last usually around 2 weeks. How warm is the water you are using to kickstart the yeast?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been shooting for room temperature water, I let it warm up then just until it's a little chilly to the touch. What kind of yeast do you use? I'm wondering if maybe the instant/bread-machine yeast can't handle small amounts of alcohol that gets converted and maybe causes a die off? Trying to find a chart or info on that, none-so-far.

Bump: Doesn't look like instant would die off to anything shy of 11% alcohol, I doubt those little bottles are even 2%... though if they are 11% maybe i can just forget I even have plants...

One other side note, every day I like to swirl the mixture around, seems to keep it going strong while it lasts. At the rate of the yeast I can't imagine 2 cups of sugar lasting more than another day... I guess I could try dry active yeast instead, could have sworn I used that in the past. Instant is made to rise once and quickly whereas dry active would be multiple slow risings... Maybe that's my problem, the 1/4TSP i put in might have burnt out leaving nothing behind for the next 'rising' maybe?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

I dont have a CO2 setup, but I've one a little home brewing. Try red star yeast, Mix it with 80 degree water to "start" it. Try adding half a crushed multivitamin to the sugar mix. Yeast need more nutrients than just sugar to reproduce. What you are experiencing is what a distiller would call a "stall" which is when the added yeast is beginning to die before it has reproduced and began the next generation to keep the fermentation process going.

Bump: Oh and by the way I've never ran instant yeast, but red star and similar bread yeast I've pushed up to 12% alcohol.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
This is what the article say how to do it..
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7/

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

A 6 gal mash pail with a grain mix can ferment like crazy for up to month. And what leftover can start a hell of a party Thats a thought for a rainy day, a DIY CO2 homebrewing combo.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, I'll look into brewing stalls to see what I can do to fix it. Never thought of a multivitamin but why not. By the way, does temperature matter much? Ambient temperature of the bottles would be around 65*F in the winter.

Bump: lol homebrewing to add co2 to a fish tank. love the idea! Wonder if I could actually make something that tastes good, like mead/wine, and have enough co2 bubbles for the tank in the process.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

Higher temp will cause a faster fermentation (fast CO2 production short time) lower temps the opposite. 65 should cause a relatively slow fermentation. Try looking at http://homedistiller.org Its a white whiskey distilling info site and forum. You're not distilling, but you are making a mash so to speak. Very good information on yeast processes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

Try using tank water from a water change and as mentioned 2 cups of sugar. I also include 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Bubbles should start in a bout 5 - 10 minutes and last about 2 weeks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

Any progress?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had a lot of trouble with regular yeast but much better results with wine yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee). I don't know why, it just works. It's about $1 per packet but you only need a sprinkle at a time so it lasts forever. Plus you can make booze: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=290122

I also seem to get better results with an apple juice base (vs grape or water). Also no idea why.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenfish View Post
I had a lot of trouble with regular yeast but much better results with wine yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee). I don't know why, it just works. It's about $1 per packet but you only need a sprinkle at a time so it lasts forever. Plus you can make booze: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=290122

I also seem to get better results with an apple juice base (vs grape or water). Also no idea why.

Thats because wine yeast tolerates a higher alcohol content, some up to 18% which allows more co2 to be produced as a byproduct. Apple juice is good due to the fact that it has a lot of nutrients similar to a multivitamin as I suggested. Ive made an awesome distilled apple pie using 5 gallons of ground apples and 2 gallons of apple juice.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use wine yeast 1 teaspoon and a spoon full of molasses to feed the yeast with 2 cups sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder and tap water treated with prime my 2L lasts 8 days with good production

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode