Non toxic paint/sealant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Non toxic paint/sealant

Hi everyone,
After spending quite a while browsing old forums here and elsewhere, I finally decided to just join a forum ask my questions rather than searching forever for answers and not finding what I am looking for.

I'm working on a little polystyrene foam insert for my crab tank, and I am ready to paint it. But I don't know exactly what to use. Does anyone know if acrylic craft paits are ok w/ some kind of non-toxic sealant over it? Or I have heard of some epoxy-based non-toxic spray paint, but I can't find any more info on it. I also read somewhere that latex-based paints hold up well for waterfalls in terrariums, but I don't know whether this would be a good idea in an underwater application. Any suggestions/ input would be appreciated.

I actually posted this in the low tech forum before I noticed this one... guess I'm tired, I didn't even see it the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to BTDarters
G4e8cko,

Have you thought about using silicone aquarium sealant? You could use the black sealant to coat your insert with a black color, or you could use black or clear sealant for the base and put some kind of coating on the sealant. Sand or gravel might look cool on top of the sealant. And you could use colored sand or gravel. To do this, you would probably want to buy silicone in the caulk-gun tube and squeeze some out onto your insert. Then, use a paint scraper to spread the silicone out into a thin layer. If you're going to put a coating on the silicone, you have to do it quickly, before the silicone forms a "skin". When you're done, let the whole shebang dry for at least 24 hours and you're good to go! Oh, one last thing, if you don't buy silicone that is made for aquariums, make sure that the stuff you buy is 100% silicone and has no mold-inhibitors in it. Those chemicals would be bad for your fish. Hope this helps.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters -
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
AQUATIC ECO SYSTEMS.COM has non toxic epoxy paint but its expensive. BTDarters idea is perfect and less expensive

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, thank you both.

I had thought of using clear silicone over some paint, but I was worried that it might make it hard to see the color if it turns white over time. But putting sand over it would give it exactly the effect I want, so I will probably to that.

But what kind of coating do you mean? I'm just worried that I might end up poisoning my crab by using the wrong thing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
You need 100% silicone im almost positive GEscs1000, GEscs00, GE Rtv108 and GE window and door 2 without the anti mildew are all aquarium safe but make sure when u buy it to read the back and make sure it 100% silicone. I would let the silicone cure at least 48 to 72 hours before use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode