Nano Pendant Plans - New Renders, almost done - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nano Pendant Plans - New Renders, almost done

Before anything, I'd like to give credit to haagenize for the inspiration. I've added a few things to his design, and made it (hopefully) easier to execute. I intend on using this design to house the electronics of the hampton bay lamp.

His thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...student-4.html

Ok, there are two iterations of this fixture. The first will be more difficult, but offers a more finished look. The second (which is the same as the first, minus the end caps) will be easier and will function just as well, but will be exposed on both sides.

Plans

The plan is to make it out of sheet metal. The sides of the ballast tray are bent so I can screw the hood and the tray together. This way I get the curve and I don't have to weld. I'll be hanging this using conduit and wire as many have done before. It fits and I like the way it looks. I plan to route the switch to the backside of the fixture, and run the power cord up in to the conduit. I plan to have the socket inside the reflector with the wires running through a space cut in both the reflector and the ballast tray.

Considerations

If I decide to go with the end caps, and I decide to make them of metal, I'm going to need to be very precise when cutting...and I'm not sure I can work a jigsaw in a perfect curve. Mess ups mean more metal, more waste, and more cost. If anyone has a cheap way to cut a perfect curve let me know!

The other possibility is I use a cheaper, easier to cut material....like mat board. Black mat board wouldn't look too bad on the sides, and would be a hell of a lot more forgiving.

If I don't go with the end caps, then I just don't and it's one less consideration at the cost of pretty much nothing but looks. I'm not even sure the idea of exposed sides bothers me, it kind of fits since I'm not finishing the metal.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 17882; 11-18-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That should work very well, and look very good too. One suggestion: make the reflector "W"shaped, so you can pick up more of the light from the rear of the bulbs. See my Hampton Bay light thread for the shape I mean.

I think I would leave the end caps off, for the modern look it has without them. Cutting those would be very hard to do neatly, and it would be even harder to attach the end caps neatly.

Now, all we need to do is find a good use for the left over pieces of that Hampton Bay lamp.

Hoppy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That should work very well, and look very good too. One suggestion: make the reflector "W"shaped, so you can pick up more of the light from the rear of the bulbs. See my Hampton Bay light thread for the shape I mean.

I think I would leave the end caps off, for the modern look it has without them. Cutting those would be very hard to do neatly, and it would be even harder to attach the end caps neatly.

Now, all we need to do is find a good use for the left over pieces of that Hampton Bay lamp.

I'll see what I can do with the W shape, I like the idea. I think no end caps is the way I'm gonna go. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. From the front it takes nothing away from the tank, and makes maintenance much easier. Having to remove the ends to get in to the thing would be a hassle.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yaeh my design has 2 13watts and a moonlight in the middle now. My friend is trying to make it now, as he's going to attach the eye screws directly onto the ballast tray, because most of the weight is in the ballasts and that will be directly connected to the wire hanging it, maybe you should try looking into something like that

Last edited by Haagenize; 11-16-2008 at 07:29 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would be willing to buy one when you make them. I made one but its not done
just the shell. All I did was get a metal can cut it in half bondo the edges, sand the edges straight and paint. Looks decent. I will post pics later. I was thinking of having the ballast be external, or using a 6500k 24watt spiral CF bulb.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagenize View Post
Yaeh my design has 2 13watts and a moonlight in the middle now. My friend is trying to make it now, as he's going to attach the eye screws directly onto the ballast tray, because most of the weight is in the ballasts and that will be directly connected to the wire hanging it, maybe you should try looking into something like that
Hadn't thought of that, would be smart to kill two birds with one stone. However, I think it will end up being an aesthetic choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
I would be willing to buy one when you make them. I made one but its not done
just the shell. All I did was get a metal can cut it in half bondo the edges, sand the edges straight and paint. Looks decent. I will post pics later. I was thinking of having the ballast be external, or using a 6500k 24watt spiral CF bulb.
I had originally thought of taking a circular duct and cutting it up, and I still might. It depends on how thick typical ducting is, and what it looks like unfinished. Definitely post some pics when you can.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Close to final renders here, still have two choices to make. After reading in Hoppy's thread that the Hampton ballast would work with two 13 watts I've considered doing so. I could use two parabolic reflectors, and probably get better light intensity in doing so, but we'll see what they cost.

I think I'll draw up one more with three 13 watts, but for that to become a reality I'll need to do a little more reading.
Anyways, pics.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The light fixture

I am trying to make a similar light fixture for three different lighting options, which are:

1. A single or dual LED lamp that uses a small heat sink and is 10 watts each. Now in the LED world that translates to 650 lumens, which is close to my 1000 lumens LCD projector.

2. A set of LED strips (8 of them) that have small surface mount LEDs on them. Together they are pretty bright and are the right color temp. for planted aquariums.

3. A cold-cathode tube light system (like what's in PCs) that is remarkably bright and uses very little electricity compared to the CF equiavalents. I am unsure if this light will work for planted aquariums.

Anyway, the design you have is just like ADA's Solar light series, and you should definitely take a look at them. Here's a link of those lights:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...uct&cPath=9_38

Anyway, if you are able to figure out the best way to make these cabinets I would love to hear what you figured out. I have read that I might be able to get a machine shop to bend a piece of steel, but I am not sure.

Any ideas on this would be great.

If you want to learn a little more about the LED option, I have a thread for one of my tanks that has the lighting on thread, it's on page 2.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-opinions.html

Thanks for your input,

Dennis
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you took the pic you deciced to use to a heating an air shop they should be able to fab all the pieces for you. They could likely put it together, or give you a good idea how to. May want to call one up, they could maby get you scrap pieces of tin, large enough for you project, for cheap.

Brion
29 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 gal low tech

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way and I have made no progress towards a final product. I still plan to complete the fixture, but it will most likely be awhile before anything gets done.

When I do get something accomplished I'll update with my thoughts. Hvac shop sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it. In fact I used to work for a mechanical contractor who did sheet metal work.

Edit: was also thinking about the cold cathodes, and while they may not suffice for growth they could be used as moon lights. Or to act as accent lighting to the main bulbs, offering a more attractive color temp.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks like a good plan, and pretty similar to ideas I've surfed in the past. I've always meant to set out and build similar but never seem to get around to it. (About the same as with and life getting in the way...lol)

I always meant to scavenger around and find some type of circular cap or lid to just cut in half and use as endaps for the fixture. There has to be something out there that could be easily used like this.
I've thought of finding some type of candy tin, candle tin or something similar. Basically any type of metal can around the right diameter that comes with a lid really.

I'll get around to building one eventually...lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode