Some more electrical wiring help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Some more electrical wiring help

Alright so right now, I have 3 13watt pc's wired to 3 different ballasts which go to the power cord, here is what it says on the ballast:

FL15W PL13W
115V 60Hz
0.3A 17W PF: 53%
5uF 0.15A PF: 92%

Alright so if i take one of the ballasts out, to make it a 2x13w, would i need to change anything besides take the ballast and light out, and have the same setup with the 2 ballasts to the power cord? or would I need to edit anything, as you can see im not very handy right now with electrical stuff. Although i did just power a computer fan with a cell phone charger (shh)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Run two bulbs on one ballast? I wouldn't do it. It looks like your ballasts are made by TDC (Taiwan Ballast) and your particular model is "15P" as is designed to provide 0.3 amps and up to 17 watts (as confirmed by the numbers you provided and their product snapshot. This is what it is rated at- doing anything beyond that runs the risk of failure or fire...or both. I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I am saying it is beyond the rating of the ballast. Whether it would lower the output of your bulbs to equate to 17 watts net output, or push the ballast beyond it's safe operational limits- I cannot say. I wouldn't risk it, unless you changed your bulbs to something like (2) 8 watt bulbs.

I'm curious as to why you want to do this. Are you trying to sum the workload of two bulbs for the sake of timers? Are you short on outlets? Want to eliminate an extra cord? All of these things can be rectified by other means, but your bulbs each need their own ballast in this case.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just re-read your post, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. Are you asking if you can remove both a single ballast and its associated bulb from the fixture- ending up with two bulbs and two ballasts? If so- yes.

If the 3 ballasts all share a common (single) power cord, just remove a ballast/bulb at the point where the hot/common (+/-) leads feed it, while leaving the other two bulb/ballasts intact. Be sure to use a wire nut (grommet) on any cut wire ends (electrical tape isn't safe enough). Also, Be sure to keep any grounding wires and connections!

Use a GFCI outlet if you can, but I gather you're in a dorm room, so use a GFCI power strip to plug all your aquarium associated gear into. That's good advice for anyone, really.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hooked View Post
I just re-read your post, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. Are you asking if you can remove both a single ballast and its associated bulb from the fixture- ending up with two bulbs and two ballasts? If so- yes.

If the 3 ballasts all share a common (single) power cord, just remove a ballast/bulb at the point where the hot/common (+/-) leads feed it, while leaving the other two bulb/ballasts intact. Be sure to use a wire nut (grommet) on any cut wire ends (electrical tape isn't safe enough). Also, Be sure to keep any grounding wires and connections!

Use a GFCI outlet if you can, but I gather you're in a dorm room, so use a GFCI power strip to plug all your aquarium associated gear into. That's good advice for anyone, really.
yeah this one, thanks, that was the answer i was looking for
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM

PTrader: (2/75%)
Since you have 3 ballast, you don't you just wire another plug to the 3rd ballast this way you could have it for a noon burst or not at all, but at least you'd have control instead of all 3 on due to just 1 power plug.

Stevie D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode