DIY 20GL Tank Hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY 20GL Tank Hood

Hey You guys,

I wanted to post on the forum the aquarium canopy I am building for my 20 to house the tanks. I do not have very many photos to boot since I was caught by suprise when my father said he had time yesterday to work on it. We were going to work on it tonight orignaly.

The Basic Box construction. I had to leave shortly after this photo but I know dad was measureing the tank to see where exackly the lid was going to open and where the filter was positioned to cut a hole for that.

My father who helped me build the thing. I am not really a wood worker though I did build a 10 by 10 completely fenced top to bottom aviary with a shed for my ferrets. you know, 40+ yrs of exp vs 25.

The box taking shape. We used soft wood from our scrap pile to make the lid as light as possible. Mind you, I am going to come home today for a major sand, wipe, paint job. (oh, joy. Most females do not get excited over DIY things)

Materials: Ply Wood, Pine used for the inside braces, a handfull of wood working screws, and white gloss paint.
Lights: CFL in Fixtures to the inside.

Hopefully it turns out okay. Im not striving for perfection because this was a scrap diy but I am hoping it will make the tank bright by sheilding the light entirely. We shall see!

Last edited by ZooKeepersMenagerie; 11-17-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looking cool. I like that you are going with cfl's, 2 13w will be plenty. I have a single 13w over my 15g and my scarlet temple finally looks like its thriving. Then again if its a 20g long and the lights are that close to the water you mite end up needing 3 cfl's.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not sure what to do for trim since I can not buy anything (Big trip in December). Does anyone have any ideas? From the past, I know just rounding the corners with a sander gives it a less unfinished look but I don't want to round the corners and see it just made it look like crap.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey you guys,

I worked on the hood today. Er...well..dad did. We used puddy to fill in cracks, and than sanded everything to a smooth finish. Now I am in the process of painting it, my only issue is..its cold and the paint hates being cold.

But heres the process:

Our way of heating paint. -.-

One side of the hood.

Puddy!

Paint. We primed it with kilms and now are using spray paint to do the other coats.

The hole in the back is where my filter sticks out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finished!

Well, the hood is finished and tested on the tank. I almost feel like I may need more Wattage for light. We'll see once I get it onto my boat. (when it gets here)

(Don't worry. the counter the tank sits on is white. The tank is on a temp place right now until the boat comes back.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hard to guess about the amount of light needed short of trying it. The real beauty of twisty CFL is the ease ( expense?) of changing to a higher wattage. Meanwhile the old bulbs are good for house use when not enough for the tank.

Note to appear very professional? Putty may sound a lot like puddy when the right guy says it!! On the other hand, DAD may have enough experience to have his own special blend.
Enjoy the cover. You may be amazed at how much it helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode