Diy Co2 Reactor okay? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Diy Co2 Reactor okay?

Is my diy Co2 reactor okay? Any foreseen problems? Sorry for the blurry picture but after 3 tries gave up trying to get it clearer. The tube of a gravel vacuum is hot glued to the input of aqua clear powerhead. A tube that comes from the gas off bottle goes into the bottom of the tube. At the end of the vacuum tube is the rest of the vacuum. It has a grated plastic screen at the end. I was unable to get air stone in. I stuffed floss into the end of vacumm.

Here is the rest of the system. I made small holes in the caps with a screw and bolt for the tubing, aquarium tubing, and then hot glued the tubing to the caps etc. Eventually I will repace the aquarium tubing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
I don't have any xp with hot glue but it would be easy enough to check for leaks with soapy water on the bottle caps. The line going to the intake tube for the powerhead should be fine as there really isn't any pressure there.
The biggest "problem" I see is the floss at the intake of the vaccum tube getting plugged too quickly. Do you have small fish or inverts you're afraid of sucking up? I would think the screen would be enough.

-Bill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That is something I didn't think of, so I will take most of the floss out. I put floss in for I was concerned that the powerhead would suck up gravel in the tank. At present don't have any small fish in the tank. After I break it down and reset it up I will be adding some platy fry to the tank.

I found a leak in 1 of the bottles after I shook the bottle up and took my finger off of the hole.

I have a little bubbles streaming out of the outlet. I usually don't see bubbles. The ph has gone down below ability to read it, so I am adding some baking soda gradually. All of the fishes, except new one, are doing okay.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Planted Member

Sounds like it's pumping out some CO2 then. Homebrew CO2 isn't my forte but I believe you can tone the mix down so it doesn't produce so much CO2.
I doubt the CO2 bubbles are dissolving much if at all in the time it enters the uplift tube (intake) to the powerhead. It wouldn't make a difference if you shortened the tube, that way you wouldn't have to worry about sucking up gravel. It would work better if you created an "S" shape uplift tube and had the CO2 enter the middle of the "S" bend. This way, the water would flow through the "S" (which would be on it's side) and the CO2 bubble would be trying to rise against the current and dissolve more. You would probably need a larger diameter tube to make it work and likely too big to fit into the decor...but hey, it's an idea
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I followed the design from this website: http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3

Many have done this and it worked. Thus I don't know what you are talking about.

Create an "S" shape uplift tube and had the CO2 enter the middle of the "S" bend. I don't understand this either.

After looking at diy Co2 on youtube I recheked the link and realized I have mine set up wrong. Now I have the output going into the tank and it is suppose to go into the tube. So now I have to do a water change at 5am.
Fortunately I don't have to go to work until 4pm.

Last edited by Hilde; 11-07-2008 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Aha, now I see too that you had it set up wrong Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that setup does not work, it does, I'm just questioning your yeast mix. If it was diluted you might not have as much CO2 produced and not have such a low pH.
The whole "S" intake tube was based on your original wrongly set up pic. Bubbles rise up and if you put that bubble in a tube where the water is flowing down, the bubble will stay in the flow of water longer because it is fighting to rise up and the water is pushing it down. With an "S" shaped tube on it's side so water enters the far right, travels upward to the first bend, then around the bend and back DOWN to the next bend, then aroung the bend and back up to the powerhead. If the CO2 was introduced somewhere in the middle of the "S" where the water is flowing down, it would dissolve better. Of course, the size of the tube and bubble plus water flow play a large part in how long the bubble actually stays in the flow. Once it is small enough and thus less bouyant, it will get pulled along the current anyway. Now that you have it set up the right way, you have the current going against the bubble rising motion so it's all good
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
put the gravel vac tub on the output otherwise its the same as just running the co2 up to the input of the powerhead
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRac25 View Post
put the gravel vac tub on the output otherwise its the same as just running the co2 up to the input of the powerhead
Yeh, I found that out the hard way. The result was too much Co2, for 1 fish was upside down. Fortunately I noticed this before I went to bed and changed the water. Only lost the 1 fish, which was new.

I have seen some have the Co2 tubing in the control inlet to the powerhead. I don't think I will try that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode