Need some electrical help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some electrical help

I've bought an Iwaki double bellows pump model 2KBM-1ZU1 that has motor specs as follows:

100V
0.6A
26W
50/60 Hz

From what I can gather this is a Japanese power spec, there are step down transformers available on the web, can anyone confirm that this unit is compatible?

http://store.traveloasis.com/transformer.html

I can't find anything with a lower wattage rating which would save some space and weight. Been checking www.mouser.com. Suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 AM

I know vary little about electrical. But I use cell phone chargers for L.E.D lighting, but they are 12volt maybe you can find something that way. A electrician friend got me using cell phone chargers for leds and that save some $$. Everyone has a old cell phone charger around. I think I have a 6 volt VHF radio charger.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
As long as the motor can really deal with 60 Hz you will be fine with any transformer rated for the watts. You may even be able to run the motor on the 110V/60Hz without problems.

The critical part for motors of any kind running on AC are the Hz.

Cheers,
Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its not horribly expensive @ $18 plus shipping. The motor will only run for a couple minutes a day which does make me think about the possiblities of using 115V.

Also, the motor is a really standard looking item that if it were to burn out could quite easily be replaced with a 115v version. It may be easier to just go 115V right from the start.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Like other Iwaki pumps, that motor is rated at 50/60 hz. The other pumps say they work at 100 - 120 volts. I could not find your pump when I looked though. You should contact Iwaki to see if yours will as well.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm pretty sure that will work fine with standard US power. With AC power the frequency is controlled almost exactly, because so much time measuring is done off that frequency. But, the voltage varies a lot. Our 110 volt power isn't controlled to exactly 110 volts at all. I can remember seeing 100 volts, but I don't remember where I was at that time, other than in California. The 60 hz isn't enough different from 50 hz to affect the life of the motor either. It may just run slower. Just my opinions again.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
It will work fine with your electric utility service that you have at your house. You should have 120V & 60HZ at you house. The biggest thing that you have to worry about is low voltage, low voltage causes to motor to strain and heat up, causing your motor to burn up. 60 Hz is how many times a second the electricity cycles. The motor will do just fine!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I'm gonna run it without the step down transformer, the only thing that'll go wrong is that my ferts won't be injected and I'd need to find a replacement motor.

Also, given how little it will run I'm less concerned.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Planted Member

It'll just run a bit hotter at 120V. If you're only running it a few minutes a day, you should be good to plug it in directly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm a commercial electrician. Wire it to a plug and plug it in the wall. If it only stated 50hz then you would have a problem, but sence it has 60hz on it also you will be fine for a motor. If it were some type of electronics i could be conserned.

The only diffrence you will see is you will get a little more power out of the motor.

At 26w with 115v supply it will pull .22 amps

~~Fluval Pimp Club #25

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode