DIY Nano Canister + Reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY Nano Canister + Reactor

Just a little brainstorming. The idea is to put this..

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html (niko's internal co2 reactor)

..in the bottom of a diy canister.

Like this:

Pros:

• Removal of all equipment but in/out pipes
  • Better diffusion
  • Better flow
  • I can make it

Cons:

• Differing flow rates of the pump and the filter/reactor (a possibly fatal design flaw, lol. more later)
  • Lots of potential leaks with all the holes for tubes/power cords/elbows etc.
  • Will end up pretty big I think

Finally, a few considerations. Keeping the media in place is something I haven't put much thought in to yet, however I don't see it being a huge problem. Sealing off the output of the filter/reactor could also be tricky. My biggest worry is the different flow rates.

It's possible I find a submersible pump that rates the same max gph as the hagen filter, but I don't think I would trust the manufacturers ratings. I could potentially get them both running at the same rate, but this seems iffy and the settings could change over time with vibration, maintenance, w/e. Troubleshooting the pumps if they stopped working might be a problem too, but I'm not expecting this to run for years. Mainly I want a cheap project, and as I type this I'm starting to realize this could have quite a few problems ha.

Input? Oh, this is for a 4 gallon tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode