LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Internal Co2 Reactor Modification

It occurs to me that the CO2 reactor in this article

https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Reactor/2/

could be improved upon.

After having examined several Protein Skimmer setups, a few ideas popped into my little head. (for those of you who are not saltwater aquarium savvy, a protein skimmer basically uses bubbles to filter out organics from the water column)

Anyways, one of the best and most efficient skimmer setups uses a Venturi valve to break up a bubble stream (using a differential of low-to-high pressure) This is in essence, just a bottleneck in the system; air is injected in such a fashion as to take advantage of a drop in pressure to draw it into the system and break it up.

Now, this applies to the above reactor design insofar as using a Marina type gravel vacuum with the tapered throat and putting a ceramic or wood air stone in this throat area. In theory, the dropping pressure should not only draw CO2 out of this air stone, but also cause it to rapidly break up and diffuse, which might allow for the use of a shorter overall stack length, leading to a shorter overall setup.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

And i'd like to thank the OP for the idea for my CO2 reactor, I hope it works as well as yours has
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Have you checked this internal reactor out? Smaller, more esthetic, just as or even more efficient.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Have you checked this internal reactor out? Smaller, more esthetic, just as or even more efficient.
I actually have one of those on my 2.5g tank, it also has CO2 running into it (I'm trying to convince some plants that they want to grow )

I had originally though about buying a second for use as a reactor, but i had the powerhead and old gravel vac just laying around... I'm cheap, I had it anyways and I don't want to spend another $15 on something when i can make something that should work ok.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode