Cool piece of driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Cool piece of driftwood

I was given a huge piece of driftwood, It has been suggested that I cut it in 1/2 and would like everyone opinions.

It will be going into an 8 X 2 X 2 tank. Heres the pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
In the 2nd pic it looks like a volcano! Cool! Personally, I would use it like it is in that pic and cut some caves out from underneath in a "X", "Y" or "K" pattern. Then maybe drill a few holes down to the caves from an angle above? A cave on each side of that nub right in front (2nd pic) on the bottom...the cave on the right being bigger than the one on the left since the right branch above is taller. Cut out some pieces of black construction paper and tack 'em on to see how it would look first.

Just my opinion
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
How would you cut it? hand saw? u would need a big bandsaw to cut it nicely.i bet that wood is hard to cut.
i wouldnt cut it since you have such a big tank. id use it as mountains and put moss and anubias nana petites on it, flame moss it on rear.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Planted Member

Find someone with a recipricating saw (a.k.a. sawzall) and offer to buy a long blade. Could also use a combination of hole saws/spade bits for the drill and drill it out. Of course it wouldn't be easy, not much in life worth doing is

Some flame moss trimmed low to look like pine trees on a mountainside and something red at the peak would be the perfect volcano! O.k, o.k., how much do you want for it!?!?!?! j/k
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the decision was made not to cut it. And will go in as is. With the fish that will be in the tank there won't be any need to cut caves in it either unless I decide to put some bristlenose pairs in there, and they would dig holes in the substrate to get under it.

The fauna for this tank is planned as 10 angels, 30 threadfins and 10 to 20 black cories and thats it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
its a beautiful piece
i second the opinion of putting some moss on it. it'll make it look amazing

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have lots of fissidens moss, came out of a creek locally, Just trying to get it adjusted to the tank and hopefully it will get pretty green.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
Isn't doing it for me, it's pretty boring looking. Damson trees (if you get them over there) have much more interesting root forms.
Also desert trees which by and large are hardwoods have more characterful rootstock.
If you go for it and use it I'd 3rd moss and anubias but I'm not sure how you'd make it work coherently.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
Isn't doing it for me, it's pretty boring looking. Damson trees (if you get them over there) have much more interesting root forms.
Also desert trees which by and large are hardwoods have more characterful rootstock.
If you go for it and use it I'd 3rd moss and anubias but I'm not sure how you'd make it work coherently.
Around here we don't have those trees and I am a long way from the desert. I do have a lot of anubias and will take my time fixing it up since it will take awhile for the tank to cycle and all.

Besides I do like it and guess thats all that matters.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's some MASSIVE wood!

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
Sorry If I caused offence, its easy to seem brash and abrasive.
Just a tip, I would split the wood rather than cut it. you'll get more a more natural appearance and you might get some more interesting forms, imagine if it was split into several smaller pieces, I think that'd look spectacular.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would split it right down the middle from top to bottom on the 2nd pic and lay them on the clean cut areas to expose the natural look of both pieces. Don't know if you understand what I'm saying but yea...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankat View Post

Besides I do like it and guess thats all that matters.
That's right! We're only offering opinions (I didn't think garuf's was brash or abrasive) so you take them as they come and make up your mind as to what you like. Good luck and if it only looks wonderful to you...that's o.k.!
I would 2nd (3rd?) that if your going to divide it, split it instead of cutting.

-Bill
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wasn't offended by the comment, just stating that its a persons own opinion. I like the piece as it is, but also think it would look nice split into 2 or more pieces. Will just have to see how it would look in the tank.

I was also advised to split in half and put it into my 2 75's instead of the big tank. So will just have to wait and see. I was also advised to let it age some more if I split it. But at least I know it does sink and not float. tried it out in the pond and it went to the bottom.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode