take off upper rim 20gal long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
take off upper rim 20gal long

Did anybody ever tryed to take off the upper rim of the AllGalss 20 gal long tank???
since a tank is so small I wonder if it would brake if I would take the upper rim off???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
It's been done before and has held.

Be careful of the sharp edges. Sand then down.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd be afraid to do it.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Visions of 20 gallons of water gushing across my floor... not pleasant.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That what I am scared 20 gals of water on my wood floor hmm not so nice, I guess it is much cheaper to buy rimless than replacing floor
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Yep. I would do it for an outdoor tank, or in a room with a drain in the floor, but definitely not anywhere where I'd not want 20 gallons of water on the floor...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
the tank will not break.
ive got a 10 gallon without any rims. they are also made of 1/8" glass

the 20's are thicker, 1/4" glass and are tougher.
you could remove both top and bottom. hit the top edges of the tank with something like a 320 or 400 grit sandpaper to knock off any jagged points that can cut your hands/ arms when you reach into the tank.

with the bottom rim removed it is very important to sit the tank on a smooth flat surface.
go slow while cutting away the rims, patiently Cut the silicone and pull away the rim, dont use a lot of force and try and pry it, you risk breaking the glass and possibly tracking blood all over the house.

a lot of people will get nervous whenever somebody mentions removing the rims from a tank. my thoughts are that the rim doesnt need to be there unless the tank was designed with a center brace to keep the glass from bowing. i have a 29 gallon that i may turn rimless soon.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm not concerned about the glass, I'd be more concerned about the silicone seams. I don't place that much confidence in a petco AGA/Aqueon cheapo tank. While it might and probably will hold, I'd prefer the rim over a new indoor swimming pool.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well another option is to take it off ant cut it down from like an inch to like half or even more, but rimless would look much better
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramunas View Post
well another option is to take it off ant cut it down from like an inch to like half or even more, but rimless would look much better
Yeah, that would be a good Idea if possible. I've never thought of cutting the bottom edge of the rim off to make it thinner...

-Chris

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramunas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Yeah, that would be a good Idea if possible. I've never thought of cutting the bottom edge of the rim off to make it thinner...
A rim is a rim is a rim.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I'm not concerned about the glass, I'd be more concerned about the silicone seams. I don't place that much confidence in a petco AGA/Aqueon cheapo tank. While it might and probably will hold, I'd prefer the rim over a new indoor swimming pool.
i so agree with this. im pretty sure all-glass knows that rims are not all that appealing, but they still put them on. theres gotta be a reason.
i would not de-rim anything over 10 gallons, but thats me.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know it must be for a reason, but cutting it down should be ok, just my tank is all set up with water so kinda would be risking to take it off while tank with water, but looks like i could cut off from half an inch, would look much better
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
cutting it doesnt sound so great. just take it off and throw it away. the tanks are made of thicker glass having more area of silicone to contact in between edges of glass panes. look at ADA tanks. notice how there is such a small amount of silicone used? look at your $10.87 aquaeon AGA tank. there are gobs of silicone holding it together.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Way too much effort to trim the rim smaller. I just replaced the rim on my 55G it was 1/2 full the whole time, just be careful but its a pita.

The way I see it, since its full, forget about it.

If you bought a new tank, then try it while empty, but dont put it back on as that's just silly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode