CO2 generator shaking+yeast shelf life - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 generator shaking+yeast shelf life

Is it ok to shake the CO2 generator around while it is hooked up to the tank?

I did a little DIY Co2 set-up, hooked it all up yesterday, but I'm still not getting any CO2 going into the tank unless I shake the bottle around. But now even then nothing happens. All the seals are air-tight.

How long does it take for CO2 to get into the tank?

Also, how important is it to refridgerate active dry yeast after opening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

I shake the reactor too but only towards the end of the cycle. Never had an issue as long as you don't get any solution into the airhose.

I buy bulk yeast (1/4 lb at a time) and keep it in the freezer. I bake a lot and run 4 x DIY on 2 tanks so I use a fair amount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

Does light effect the CO2 production? Has anyone tried a blacked out 2l bottle as opposed to a clear one?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Does light effect the CO2 production? Has anyone tried a blacked out 2l bottle as opposed to a clear one?
Not really part of my original question...might want to start a seperate thread for that one. But if I were to take a guess I would have to say no, it doesn't matter. Yeast isn't photosynthetic as far as I know.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Planted Member

Ah...good point, and I'm taking a microbiology course right now...Duh, maybe I should start to apply my knowledge a bit.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Planted Member

Well i did the same thing and mine bubbles like mad.. i am even worried that it bubbles to much. I used a 2L clear pop bottle(bottle transparency doesn't matter) 3/4 cup of sugar, 10mL of yeast and 7 cups of water. Works fantastic. Is your Pop Bottle cap completely sealed and also where the tube enters the cap, is that completely sealed?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you've set up the bottle for over a day and still get no bubbles other than when you shake the bottle, I would think that your connections are not sealed tight. Might also be dead yeast.

Here's a way to jump start a slow starting mixture. Fill a bucket half full with hot water, place your bottle in that bucket. Submerge your bottle halfway. Other people might come in here and tell you that you'll kill the yeast with high temps. I've done this to regular fleischmans yeast and Lalvin ec1118 wine yeast.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm...

Well, I have the Fleischmanns active dry yeast... I tried it out before and the thing worked great, but after I opened it I did not refridgerate the yeast. It just sat at room temperature for a week. Would that be enough to kill off all the yeast?

I used 2cups sugar, 2 1/4 cups water, and 1/4tsp yeast. I plan to change one container every 2 weeks. Is this good?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A week shouldn't kill the yeast. But perhaps if you stored it with the lid off for a week, that might do it. I used to store yeast outside of the fridge and the yeast would still work after several months. I now keep it in the fridge or freezer. If you bought the glass jar of fleischmans, i would keep it in the fridge. The jar is near imposible to open if you freeze it.

It looks like too little water for the amount of sugar. What kind of bottles are you using? I use 2 liter pop bottles. Two cups of sugar and a bit of molases. The molases seems to help it start faster compaired to when i dont use it. I fill with water almost to the top and thats it, no need to measure water. I think that you might be wasting much of your sugar with your mixture. Regular baking yeast has a lower alcohol tolerance and will probably die before all that sugar is used up. Your mixture comes to about 1.25 L in volume where as mine which is the typical 2L with a lower concentration of sugar will still have some sweetness to it when I change the bottles and that is using wine yeast that ferments up to 18 percent alcohol.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm using normal 2L soda bottles....

So are you saying I should lower the sugar and raise the water? Or just lower the sugar?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Characins View Post
Hmmmm...

Well, I have the Fleischmanns active dry yeast... I tried it out before and the thing worked great, but after I opened it I did not refridgerate the yeast. It just sat at room temperature for a week. Would that be enough to kill off all the yeast?

I used 2cups sugar, 2 1/4 cups water, and 1/4tsp yeast. I plan to change one container every 2 weeks. Is this good?
only 2-1/4 cup of water?
I use 2 liter bottle and fill water up to the point where it start to narrow.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augus View Post
only 2-1/4 cup of water?
I use 2 liter bottle and fill water up to the point where it start to narrow.
So could I just add more water straight into my existing mixture, and keep the same yeast to sugar ratio? Or do I do this with a new mixture only?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

OK, turns out you guys were right in the first place. The seal isn't tight enough.

But frankly, I have no idea how to fix it.

It seems that the silicone doesn't stick to the cap. So I have this big 1" high wad of silicone and an air gap between it and the cap.

How can I fix this?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM

The underside of soda bottle caps has some sort of plastic that silicone doesn't stick to very well. Back when I did the DIY co2 bottle method I would use really coarse sandpaper to rough up the surfaces I was going to silicone. Also make sure you give it lots of time to set up, at least 24 hours before you even touch it, otherwise you might break the seal before it has even finished curing.

Rough up the surfaces, silicone the gear carefully, then don't touch it for 24 hours.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Characins View Post
Hmmmm...

i left some Fleischmanns yeast in my car for abuot 2 weeks in the summer. and it got DANG hot in my car. all the yeast still works.

anyways, silicone works good and so does some other sealants. I use this stuff for metal roofs on mine and it seals it up tight. its like chewed gum but tougher.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode