Rebuilding a 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rebuilding a 10 gallon

I needed a project, and I found an old 10 tank at my parents house. Well it held a hampster that ate the silicone seams. So, busted off the trims and pulled the panes apart to remove the silicone. Well I got the bulk of the silicone off but what about the residue. What do I use to remove that silicone residue before I resilicone the panes back together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
going to walmart and buying a new 10 for $10 will save you time, sweat, and money
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
i think goo-gone should be fine, just rinse it off really well. While it would be easy to buy a new one from walmart, there is something sooo much more satisfying about building it yourself. but if you do buy one, go for a bigger size than 10, thats too small to hold most fish.

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
I needed a project, and I found an old 10 tank at my parents house. Well it held a hampster that ate the silicone seams. So, busted off the trims and pulled the panes apart to remove the silicone. Well I got the bulk of the silicone off but what about the residue. What do I use to remove that silicone residue before I resilicone the panes back together?

I've used ammonia (left over from fishless cycling) and then put the panels
in the dishwasher without detergent.

- Brad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All good ideas, I think we have goo gone already so I'll give that a shot first. I've been using rubbing alcohol which works but not too well. I know it would be cheaper but I need a project to work on. Getting bored and my mind and hands have gone idle. Plus it keeps my wife off my back when she see's I'm doing something I enjoy. No fish in this tank, just shrimp, well....I shouldnt say that just yet. But if anything swims it'll be small. Thanks guys!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, will a tube of the All-Glass silicone be ok for rebuilding? Or should I get some other brand of the 100% Silicone I. I'm trying to find a stronger grade but most have some kind of mildew resistance. Any suggestions there?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Get some very very brand new razors. What I mean by brand new is they have to be extremely sharp. I used a new razor for each side of the tank... Got everything off completely. Just make sure you use alcohol pads or something to clean the oil they use to keep the razors from oxidizing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thats what I've been doing and its worked great so far but theres just a bit of silicone film that wont come up with the alcohol or razor. I mean I can get it, but I'd have to go over the spot a million times. I was just looking for a bit simpler solution to get that tiny little film off.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Get some very very brand new razors. What I mean by brand new is they have to be extremely sharp. I used a new razor for each side of the tank... Got everything off completely. Just make sure you use alcohol pads or something to clean the oil they use to keep the razors from oxidizing.
I second this, and acetone works wonders with silicone residue. Make sure you do a final swab with acetone or alcohol before you reseam, too.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know for a fact we have acetone, at least as nail-polish remover. I'll give that a shot and try not to get too high from the acetone while playing with the sharp glass and rozors. I've sliced myself twice already on the edges. Any suggestions on what silicone to use?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
New Razors? Silicone? That's sounding more expensive than buying a new tank, not even considering time. A 10g is like $9.30 @ Petsmart. Donate the hamster tank to Goodwill.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know, but its the project thing, I'm bored and needed to do something. And I've got plenty of time, thats why I started this project.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lets say this project does fail. Ok I get a new tank, remove the trim peices, but would I be able to remove the nasty looking inside seam of silicone all around but maintain the silicone inbetween the panes? So they stay stuck together and the tank remains together? Then reseal with silicone along the inner seams with a thinner cleaner looking seam? Cause that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Lets say this project does fail. Ok I get a new tank, remove the trim peices, but would I be able to remove the nasty looking inside seam of silicone all around but maintain the silicone inbetween the panes? So they stay stuck together and the tank remains together? Then reseal with silicone along the inner seams with a thinner cleaner looking seam? Cause that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah....immed_Tank.pdf

I've gotten my share of cuts
I suggest getting the clear silicone stuff from Petco, it's like 7 bucks?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well....I found a chip along one of the edges. It was on a peice I had already cleaned up, so I or a family memeber must of bumped and chipped it. It went through from one side edge to just the outer edge. So there would be about 1/2 mm of no glass to glass. Not worth the chance. So this project is done for now, but I did find 10 gal. tanks for $8.99 near by, so I guess I'll be taking the trim off one of those. Thank you for the help guys!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode