Just ordered some big ole CXA! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just ordered some big ole CXA!

Eagerly awaiting my cxa390 5000k to arrive. They'll be lighting a 240 g tall tank. Also will be adding a led strip consisting of several different 3w led.

I still have to talk to my electrical friend, to help me design the whole setup,
but I think everything will run separately for extra insurance. I would like the setup to be clean as possible. Will be cooled by an extra large pc fan, that I still need to figure out how to setup to the driver so I would only worry about one cord come out.

I'll also be using the 0-10v dimmer just so I can play around with the intensity.

Anyone else have any experience with the cxa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Planted Member

cant find the cxa 390 did you mean the 3590? if so you will either need to run it dimmed down a lot, or buy your fish sunglasses. my guestimate on how many watts you would need to light a 240 to high light levels with and efficient array like the cxa class would be something under 200.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes I did mean the 3590, I was under the impression that driven at 1.8 they produce 150w, driven around .350 they'll be around 25w. By my calculation they were far more efficient then the vero29. I'm planning on having an analog potentiometer so I can have them dimmed at .35, .7. 1., 1.4, to 1.8.

The could of bought two vero29 for the price of the cxa, but figure this will just would be simpler to setup.

I was hoping to have one light, one cable as the powersource, but my buddy claims that it'll be less efficient to set it up this way.

Any thoughts?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darxvad View Post
Yes I did mean the 3590, I was under the impression that driven at 1.8 they produce 150w, driven around .350 they'll be around 25w. By my calculation they were far more efficient then the vero29. I'm planning on having an analog potentiometer so I can have them dimmed at .35, .7. 1., 1.4, to 1.8.

The could of bought two vero29 for the price of the cxa, but figure this will just would be simpler to setup.

I was hoping to have one light, one cable as the powersource, but my buddy claims that it'll be less efficient to set it up this way.

Any thoughts?
Depending on which bin you got, the Vero would more than likely give you far better color. On top of that, what are the dimensions of the tank? Having a 150w spotlight isn't great unless you're chopping up a large MH reflector to put it in, you'll want to use a bunch of lesser wattage chips for more spread.

What do you mean by 'one light, one cable as the power source'? You can use a Meanwell HLG power supply (they go up to 320w) to power a bank of LDD drivers to do your DC-DC conversion to constant current.

Actually, now that you mention it, the CXA3590 that goes to 1.8A at 150w uses around 77v. You're going to have a hard time finding drivers that will push that much voltage. I'd send them back or cancel your order IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I was planning on combing on putting a 3pin connector on a diy board, so that each cxa( 1 per fixture) will only have one external power source. However I was told by my electrically gifted friend that its doable, but will decrease the efficiency.

I am planning on having each cob on its own driver and powersource, and just run them at a lower amp.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Youre still going to need drivers that give a minimum of 77v. Lowering amperage only lowers voltage by a small amount.

a 40g reef
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you for your input, I figured I could solve the electrical part at a later time, but looking through the mean well drivers, there seems to be a slight problem. Good thing I didn't opt for the higher bin with the minimum of 20 per order. These might turn into a future security flood light project.

I know crees offer the 3590, around 38 if I recall. The problem I have with these cxa are finding them in stock. Usually they have a min quantity which I wouldn't know what to do with the rest.

If I can't figure out how to power these monsters, I may have to drop to the 3070 using the hlp/hlg meanwell series. Wish there was more people working with the cxa.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Dimension of the tank is 72x24x31, Was planning on using 60 or 80 degrees reflectors
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Couldn't resist, ordered some vero18 and cxa3070
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Youre still going to need drivers that give a minimum of 77v. Lowering amperage only lowers voltage by a small amount.
CXA3590 comes in 36V and 77V bins.

This one is interesting. 36V and 95CRI with color temp of 6500K. Pricey though.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0E1-ND/4929206
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Especially since you have to order 50 of them! I wish it was easier to get some of these cxa, especially the top bins one. It seems the higher grade are out of stock and need at least a 20-100 min order. I can light my whole house and then some more with a 100 cxas.

What are your recommendation on a fixture. Dimmable are a must on the cxa, but for the veros should I opt for the dimmable drivers too. The veros will likely be strung together to go over my fuge. And should I construct the fixture housing to contain the driver?

On a side note, I can drive the 3590 at 1400, HLG-185H-C1400B. Just need to figure out which way will be cost efficient and how I want the potentiometer and fans in my circuit.

Last edited by darxvad; 11-02-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Side Note
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Especially since you have to order 50 of them! I wish it was easier to get some of these cxa, especially the top bins one. It seems the higher grade are out of stock and need at least a 20-100 min order. I can light my whole house and then some more with a 100 cxas.

What are your recommendation on a fixture. Dimmable are a must on the cxa, but for the veros should I opt for the dimmable drivers too. The veros will likely be strung together to go over my fuge. And should I construct the fixture housing to contain the driver?

On a side note, I can drive the 3590 at 1400, HLG-185H-C1400B. Just need to figure out which way will be cost efficient and how I want the potentiometer and fans in my circuit.
Doesn't matter if it's Vero or CXA, you are going to need dimming. A Vero 18 can be driven up to 3000ma with proper cooling. I have yet to find a cree LED which I liked the color over a Luxeon or Vero though. High-CRI white Vero's look damn good.

Which Vero 18 did you order?

My old 32" Vero 18 array which had 6 Vero and Ledil reflector could push 400 PAR hanging 3ft from substrate at 1A.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I've ordered a couple of the 5600 and 5000 @ 90 cri. I was looking at those higher cri veros. The ones I found only came in 2700-3000 range. I also bought the driver for my cxa, its a dimmable driver that can power 3 cxa3070, or 1 cxa3590 @1400 That way I can choose to interchange them based on my liking.

Edit* Changed my mind getting individual drivers for the 3070.

How tall was you tank and what angle reflectors did you use. I am debating going with the 60 degrees. But also thinking about placing them closer to the tank and and lowering the ma. I just want to make sure to protect my eyes I've heard how bright these cobs could be.

Last edited by darxvad; 11-03-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've ordered a couple of the 5600 and 5000 @ 90 cri. I was looking at those higher cri veros. The ones I found only came in 2700-3000 range. I also bought the driver for my cxa, its a dimmable driver that can power 3 cxa3070, or 1 cxa3590 @1400 That way I can choose to interchange them based on my liking.

Edit* Changed my mind getting individual drivers for the 3070.

How tall was you tank and what angle reflectors did you use. I am debating going with the 60 degrees. But also thinking about placing them closer to the tank and and lowering the ma. I just want to make sure to protect my eyes I've heard how bright these cobs could be.
Tank was a 90P so 18" tall. The reflectors were Ledil Brooke-W designed for BXRA.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode