Ideas for a floating shelf - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Ideas for a floating shelf

Just to be clear, this is non aquarium related. When I say floating shelf, I mean the kind you usually see mounted to a wall, free standing. This kind of thing:
http://www.rbuk.co.uk/images2/twinslotlite2.jpg

I live in a rented apartment, so I can't make holes in the wall. What I would like to do is make a shelf similar to the one above that doesn't need to be mounted to the wall. Perhaps one with a stand, if you will:

___________ <----shelf
||
||
||
||
||
||<---stand
||
||
||
||
||
||=========== <---base of stand to stabilize it

It's not going to bear a large load, maybe some light vinyl figures (I have a lot of kidrobot stuff). Anyone have any good ideas? I'd like to avoid a lot of cutting, since I don't have access to any power saws.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
have you check the container store, they have exactly what you wanna make... >_<

their freestanding stuff.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...RODID=10023260
check it out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you're handy at all you could build something similar to these examples fairly easily.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mmmm, I don't think ladder shelves would work for this application. I've seen them before, and while they look cool, it's not what I'm looking for. I would really only want one shelf, and the stand would need to be pretty low profile.

The container store shelf is a nice example of what I want to accomplish...without the 500 dollar price tag. I already own one of these and have been looking into a way to incoporate it: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80123460

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ah... the floating shelf.

Have you considered using black steel pipe for stand columns and tees for corners? I have a 5.5 gal tank and 4 plant pots on top. Pretty strong. I mounted it to the stock stand with bolts and steel plate from within the stand.

All parts can be had from your local Home Despot or bLowes, and it won't break your bank.

2x 5' black steel pipe
2x 1' black steel pipe
2x Tees
2x steel caps (for ends of the short pipe)
4x bolts + nuts + washers
2x steel corners to reinforce the bottom (just in case)

The pipes come already threaded, so assembly is real easy - just screw the pipes into the tees, and - presto! - you've got an L-bracket.

Tools needed: drill and drill bits, a socket wrench to tighten the bolts (although good pliers should do in a pinch)

I sprayed the assembled pipes with black paint to match the stand.

Oh, and the shelf itself is just 3/4" plywood with some edge made out of poplar plank, all painted black.

There! That should do it.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1990_a.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	10164  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1991_a.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	10165  

29g eco, DIY up to 81W PC (55W used), Rena Filstar XP2 Filter
Corkscrew Vals, 2 angels, 4 corydoras aeneus, Ramshorn snails, MTS
5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's not a bad idea...hmmm. How do you keep it sturdy on the bottom? Or is the floating shelf just mounted to the stand?

EDIT: I think I see what the problem is. This is a great idea for a fish tank stand, but I am trying to have just the shelf portion without the stand. I guess I could still apply the same idea, need to think about it some more. Thanks, though!

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would it really be that bad to make some holes in the wall? Small screw holes are easy enough to patch up if you move out. I have two rental apartments and people put holes in my walls all the time. Yeah I'm not happy when I see it but I'm not going to evict anybody over it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode