DIY CO2 out of fire extinguisher - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 out of fire extinguisher

anyone done this before?

any plans?

they are co2 and easy to get filled, surely we are onto a winner here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
sounds dangerous

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
sounds dangerous
there only a large CO2 bottle with a handle on

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
that sounds pretty risky :X
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My CO2 tank IS an old fire extinguisher. Unless you are buying it already converted, don't bother. It is a fair bit of work to have it be safe. The people who do it are professionals, usually.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste_hughes View Post
there only a large CO2 bottle with a handle on
In the UK, apparently so. Here in the States, "fire extinquisher" means something much different to most people. Most household units are the Dry Chemical type, that puts out some type of fire-inhibiting power when activated. 'not something used want to use with a fish tank.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you can find the valve to replace the trigger it would probably not be too much of a project. The threads do not need any teflon tape or loctite as the pressure inside the tank is enough to push the threads together and seal them. The worst that would happen is there would be a leak around the valve and this would be caught while filling the tank.

"sounds dangerous" for me starts when you're messing with 4500psi paintball tanks. Good thing they wrapped in carbon fiber.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
In the UK, apparently so. Here in the States, "fire extinquisher" means something much different to most people. Most household units are the Dry Chemical type, that puts out some type of fire-inhibiting power when activated. 'not something used want to use with a fish tank.
Still uses co2 to propel said powder. Just had the extinguishers on our ambulances checks. I assure you this is possible, but usually too costly to justify.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb300 View Post
If you can find the valve to replace the trigger it would probably not be too much of a project. The threads do not need any teflon tape or loctite as the pressure inside the tank is enough to push the threads together and seal them. The worst that would happen is there would be a leak around the valve and this would be caught while filling the tank.

"sounds dangerous" for me starts when you're messing with 4500psi paintball tanks. Good thing they wrapped in carbon fiber.
Nah, that isn't dangerous. It is only 68cu in. When tanks fail they fail in a crack pattern, not an explosion like people think.

We use carbon fiber scba tanks for our rescue rig and they are much larger and strapped to my back. Still not afraid. It is more dangerous to DRIVE the ambulance than it is to wear the pack. (most deaths in EMS happen in vehicles operating code 3(lights and sirens), not in crazy freak accidents.)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
Dude, there are many types of fire extinguishers. Not all of them are like the one in your kitchen. They even make one that when you use it you can hear the OZone ripping open, haha (Halon)

~~Fluval Pimp Club #25
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Planted Member

I'm aware of that. I was commenting that, when someone in Europe talks about using one for DIY CO2, they are likely to get puzzled responses along the lines of "sounds dangerous", unless they further explain they are talking about the pure compressed CO2-type, which here I've only seen in commercial kitchen fire suppression systems.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

its just a language barrier

i can't really explain anymore as i was asking if it was possible. i was looking for a large co2 capacity bottle so i do not have to refill as much. this means its less hassle in the future. i was looking at maybe having 2/3 and have a reserve so i never have to take co2 offline to get them refilled in a system i am planned

i am also looking at brewers bottles of co2 if i can find one
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to yankus Send a message via Yahoo to yankus
4500psi Paintball tanks hold compressed air not co2 and they are perfectly safe (yes i play paintball) a thought i had was a pair of 20 ounce co2 paintball tanks they only operate at around 1800psi, buy 2 on/off paintball ASA's, a T junction and paintball steel braid lines and screw them all together. That way you run 1 tank at a time, when the first tank gets empty you can switch to the second one while you're having the first filled. as long as you're bubbling it slowly they should last a while
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I run a setup like yankus described just without the t and on/off's. To date my whole setup has only cost around $30. If you're looking for a cheap option used paintball stuff is the way to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode