diy sump, auto/top off, auto declorinator,auto water change setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
diy sump, auto/top off, auto declorinator,auto water change setup

I was sick of the boring maintenance involved with water changing, water top off, filter cleaning, and declorinating water. After a lot of research and drawings this is the completed project. I saves a lot of time maintaining my setup. It basically is a sump filter with a side feed prefilter chamber so much of the waste settles on the bottom which prevents the prefilter from getting clogged to soon. It also prevents fry from my livebearers from dying that get sucked into the overflow. they can live in there till I scoop them out. some of my amano shrimp ended up in there and they eat some of the uneaten food. there are also two bottom drains in the sump I open the valve and waste drains out.

the auto water change is basically a brass air line control that I use to drip water out and into the drain. It does work but I would like to come up with a better method.

the auto top of is a JBJ water level controller

the auto declorinator is basically a barrel with a fill valve plumbed to the side of it. it allows water to sit while it offgases. it is conected to my houses cold water line. there is a air pump hooked up to it on a timer to keep it well circulated and to speed up the offgassing.[IMG][/IMG]

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here is a pic of the fill valve in the barrel[IMG][/IMG]

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

this is the CO2 chamber plumbing[IMG][/IMG]

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Very nice..One question though, is that 2x4 next to your reservoir the only thing holding up your sump?

- O
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's sweet man! Looks like a reefers set up

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
DementedMindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Very nice..One question though, is that 2x4 next to your reservoir the only thing holding up your sump?

- O

I was thinking the same thing hope its not. but other then that looks nice alot of plumbing.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The frame is screwed to the wall studs on the left and back I needed to offset the leg to allow my snow blower to fit under it. The looks can be deciving it is plenty strong. This section of my basement is not to big. I did get alot of the ideas from reef setups. the water change is set at about 3-5 gallons per day.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Now.. pics of tank!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
I hope that sump is covered.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here is a pic of the tank. [IMG][/IMG]

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The cabinet above the sump may be removed and I'm thinking of putting a couple 10 gallon tanks for breeding and for the fry to grow.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
So.. you've got 100ft of PVC line, a custom DIY sump (sweet by the way), auto fill etc....for a 90 gallon bowfront with five fish in it? It looks like enough filtration for a 250 gallon tank!

Last edited by eyebeatbadgers; 10-19-2008 at 01:20 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have learned when it comes to filtration you can't go wrong with being on the larger side. Theres is about 35-40 feet each way, unfortunately I couldn't put the sump directly below the tank. there are 2 tanks running currently off the sump, the 90 and a 20 for breeding. theres are way more than five fish. there are over 100 young orange platys alone, which I will sell when there older. there is about 30-40 other fish in the 90 gallon. other than the rainbow fish and pearl guaramis most are small.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
So.. you've got 100ft of PVC line, a custom DIY sump (sweet by the way), auto fill etc....for a 90 gallon bowfront with five fish in it? It looks like enough filtration for a 250 gallon tank!
yeah I was totally expecting a much bigger tank (You know what this means right, *nudge nudge* time for a upgrade )
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the nice thing about this setup is I can add a tank to it with very little extra maintenance. In hindsight I do wish I bought a tank that was shorter with more depth front to back so I could have more planting space.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode