DIY Co2 elbow threading area leaks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
DIY Co2 elbow threading area leaks

Hey guys, yesterday I tried out my co2 reactor on my 60 gallon for the first time! Kewl!

I'd say the reactor sure has a lot of more water turbulence than that blurping co2 bubbly sound. And the filter is somewhat loud itself as well, it's not bad like vibrations though xD. Just the plain sound of splashing water inside the co2 reactor. No more bubbly sound...but just having this filter in my planted tank makes a great deal of circulation for my tank, when before it was only one 305 fluval canister operating. Just wondering, is having that water splashing inside co2 reactor, normal? A lot of the co2 is dissolved for sure, I see very small bubbles in water floating around everywhere (a lot! this time compared to fluval's intake diffusion).

The main problem I'm facing now is a very small percentage of little leaking at elbow threading area. I am currently using this co2 reactor as a inline 2217 eheim. I have a white towel on the leak area (it's not so bad that it's leaking like on a aquarist's nightmare) and that I have the eheim tubing locks on very tight.

Say, just a thought, would thread seal tape work perfectly for the elbows? or plumbing glue?? I have the elbows screwed in verrry very tight, I even used a wrench. Got them real tight before I turned the filter on. I would love to thread tape the elbow threads and get this over with, good riddance. I started off horribly with fluval's tubing! and without thinking, the elbow leaked, the nipples leaked, I didn't have the brass check valve on the co2 reactor's tubing so water was leaking out, it was just basically hell before, then I finally got here, to this point,and I still have a leak..but not so bad this time! It's just a minor problem of small amounts of water leaking around the elbow's threading area......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Use the white thread tape. Why not?

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Someone mentioned using pipe dope and he/she suggested it. Is it any good?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
Someone mentioned using pipe dope and he/she suggested it. Is it any good?
I imagine it would work but I'd be worried about possible leeching, and if the white tape seals and does the job why take a chance with the dope?

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
I imagine it would work but I'd be worried about possible leeching, and if the white tape seals and does the job why take a chance with the dope?
Since you are sounding like you are really suggesting it to me, then so be it. Teflon tape it is!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Teflon tape.

Watery mess, but successful! Thanks guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode