DIY Hood/Canopy Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Hood/Canopy Questions

Hello all,

I've finished the base of my Dream Office Tank, and I'm onto the hood today. This is my first tank build, and I'm a bit worried about mold/mildew building up inside the hood, especially considering the fact that the hood will be constructed entirely of wood (mostly 1/2" oak ply). The rough dimensions are: 5' wide x 1.5' deep by 1.5' tall.

I've been toying with the idea of either shellacking the entire inside, kind of like they used to do with the hulls of those old wooden ships. The other idea, and the one that would save me some time/work is lining the inside with that "Flex Seal" stuff (the commercials for this product feature a guy sitting in a boat on water after the bottom, previously riddled with tons of holes, has been sealed with the product).

I've also considered adding a vent fan to the top of the hood to take the moisture out, but I'm REALLY trying to avoid this because the tank is in the bottom level of my raised ranch and the humidity is already high enough down there.

First question: am I worrying too much about the moisture issue?

Second question: which sealing method would you recommend?

Third question: do I NEED a vent fan or even an open slot in the hood to let moist air out?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My thoughts are that there are big advantages to leaving the back open. One is that it is cheap and easy but other points as well. With just an upright brace to set on the tank top in back, you have room for filters, cords and such to be moved around much easier that making holes for each item. It lets air circulate and often this is plenty without fans. I have a heat problem here and do sometimes need fans, depending on what lighting I use.
For inside finish, I find a shiny white smooth paint is as good as any for me. Rustoleum brand is my choice but many would work. Shiny white does reflect some ligh back into the tank. Over time, you may find mildew can be a problem but not big if you wipe it down with vinegar when you see it start. Don't wait until it is an inch deep though??
Neglecting the fish tank is a terrible thing!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to leave 1/2 of the hood open in the back for hoses and ventilation. The white paint idea is good, too. Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I never seem to know what/how my tank and canopy will wind up. The filters are prone to change and that makes leaving as much open as practical work better than cutting holes and guessing where they should be. To stop jumpers I find eggcrate is handy to cut and fit to the opening and then use plastic ties to hold it in place. Lots easier to cut out some more eggcrate than to cut wood out.
Good luck with the project. You look like you are doing very nice work and should look great.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode