DIY Glass Top - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
DIY Glass Top

Well I ran over to Homedepot today and tried to look for a mesh/fence type cover. There was a window screen frame which would have been PERFECT for a 10g, but I wanted something that looked clean for a 2.5g bowfront.

I ended up spotting out some replacement glass, they were insanely cheap.. 2-3 bucks a sheet. Picked out the 8x10 as my tank is around 7.5x10.5.

I bought 2 sheets and a glass cutter.

I came home and did some research: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_YksUiHPc

And went on to cutting the glass. I also cut a small hole for my nano hang over filter.

total price = 6 bucks + 2 dollars for a second piece of glass just incase

I feel better about my Betta jumping, the tank looks very clean with the glass cover, and my light can be as close to the tank without risking water damage!
Pics to come early next week after I do a rescape! Just waiting on my package!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So here's a pic of the tools and the glass

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Good job on the tank! I also make my own glass tops. Economic freindly. Plus I can custom make my own tops. For example, on my Pacu tank I use blue glass from a glass store; since Pacus like diffused/dark lighting.

You just have to be carefull with the sharp edges. I have learned to take a dremmel and round out the edges. You have to have it on low rpm's otherwise you will run into problems. That way you don't run through too many band aids

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickitaz View Post
Good job on the tank! I also make my own glass tops. Economic freindly. Plus I can custom make my own tops. For example, on my Pacu tank I use blue glass from a glass store; since Pacus like diffused/dark lighting.

You just have to be carefull with the sharp edges. I have learned to take a dremmel and round out the edges. You have to have it on low rpm's otherwise you will run into problems. That way you don't run through too many band aids

I totally agree on the sharp edges. I actually sanded them down with sand paper. Took me a bit longer than using my dremel. I was paranoid about using a dremel! You must have very good hands haha.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
I totally agree on the sharp edges. I actually sanded them down with sand paper. Took me a bit longer than using my dremel. I was paranoid about using a dremel! You must have very good hands haha.
Well, I am a woman... I have a tendancy to be gentle. The trick with the dremmel is low speed and touch it ever so slightly.

How thick was the peice you bought? If it was less than 1/8" thick.. dremmel definately would NOT have worked.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another way to break the sharpness of the edge of a piece of glass is to use an ordinary file to file off the sharp corner of the glass. The file needs to be fine enough that the teeth don't catch on the edge you are filing. As always, use gloves when handling sharp pieces of glass, it can always break while you are working.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode