The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need help with diy HEAT EXCHANGER!

973 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Clear Water 
#1 ·
Im thinking of having this setup but Im not sure if this would work or what material i should be using for the heat exchanger in the smaller tanks.

Im thinking 316 steel pipe or steel coil. I definitely cannot afford titanium pipe.

anyone has experience building a similar system?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
are you just trying to heat all the tanks with one heater?

Most of the heat exchangers I've seen either run one tube inside another with the flows going opposite, or have pretty big coils to give a lot of surface area and exposure time.

I imagine it will be a lot cheaper to just buy decent heaters and controllers for them, then it would be to buy that much 300 series stainless...

#4 ·
Another issue for this is that your heat will reduce at each tank.
This means you should at least start/w the largest tank first behind the heater. And with this system you won't get identical temps in any two tanks either. Then also you are loosing heat in those sections between tanks from your line as it travels through the whole route.
Be creative in some other aria of these tanks and save yourself a few problems by being conventional and just get regular heaters for each tank.
Now that the company has established it's self Visi-therm has increased it's prices by about 25% yet they have less expensive heaters which have good reviews and the 50W one is smaller than most other brands of heaters. I use one in my 10g tank and you can't see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.