need help on DIY lighting for eclipse 5gal nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
need help on DIY lighting for eclipse 5gal nano

I have eclipse all in one nano, the 5 gallon one. the light system can only support 15watts incandescant and 10 watts CFS, so i was wondering how i can set up this tank with a good light system. I was planning on making this nano have HC, and bright light plants. Any suggestions, im really stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

any ideas?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump i need help

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

BUMP. come one, there has to be somebody that can help.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Get rid of the eclipse hood. Period. The eclipse filtration system takes up any/all space you have for lighting. No retrofit will really get the job done. So go buy another filter - canister/hob/whatever you prefer. Then you can think about how you want to mount new lights. The eclipse is a nice all-in-one system for those who want to keep fish, but it's a P.O.S. as far as planted tanks go.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
See if nanotuners.com can tell you how much clearance this needs (not hopeful with the hood you have). You'll likely have to do some cutting/gluing, drilling etc to get it in. You can also build a small canopy out of sheets of ABS or even wood treated for moisture resistance, and easily mount the retrofit kit in that.

Another option is removing the hood, if possible, running it topless or with a glass cover, and standing a compact fluorescent desk lamp over it. There are a few with around 20-ish watt bulbs at places like Home Depot and Lowes. I think if you search the lighting and equipment forums for "desk lamp" you may get a few hits and some more ideas.

Also, if you do a glass top, there's this option, which I don't know if it will fit over you tank but is only 9" long, 18w of pc light. The actinic bulb needs to be replaced with a full spectrum bulb anywhere from 5000k to 10000k. I would do 65 or 6700K.

There's another cheap option, I'm trying to find the link now and will post back soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Well, I was trying to find a US source for the Wave Solaris Tropical 18w, or the Arcadia Arc-Pod 11w (would use two), the Red Sea Deco Art light is also a possible option, but I'm not able to find them.

In my search I found this...
Two of these would work but would be pricey, http://cgi.ebay.com/JEBO-JB13-SMALL-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Overall, it seems like the Coralife 2x9w might be the best all-in-one option. That or a desk lamp if you don't want to DIY it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Tonight, if I can find my card-reader, so I can upload the pics, I will post a DIY tech guide on how to retrofit the bulb/reflector from the Home Depot desklamp right inside your stock hood. I have one of the same tanks, and I used the Home Depot desklamp VERY successfully for about 6 months... then I had to cat-proof all of my tanks, which forced me to abandon the open-top look (which is DEFINITELY the best idea for this tank, if you can swing it, or if your cats are well-behaved unlike mine), so I took the desklamp apart and fixed it to the stock hood.

It came out better than I expected. I'll do everything in my power to upload it tonight. Stay tuned.

*edit-- what brohawk said is not necesarily true. There is nothing wrong with the hood, ESPECIALLY if you need to keep the tank looking good while being closed-topped. It's almost as if he's not aware that the filter assembly is a separate unit from the hood. All I did was removed it and replaced it with a Red Sea nano filter. But the stock lighting that came IN the hood, that's another story. It blows.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Tonight, if I can find my card-reader, so I can upload the pics, I will post a DIY tech guide on how to retrofit the bulb/reflector from the Home Depot desklamp right inside your stock hood. I have one of the same tanks, and I used the Home Depot desklamp VERY successfully for about 6 months... then I had to cat-proof all of my tanks, which forced me to abandon the open-top look (which is DEFINITELY the best idea for this tank, if you can swing it, or if your cats are well-behaved unlike mine), so I took the desklamp apart and fixed it to the stock hood.

It came out better than I expected. I'll do everything in my power to upload it tonight. Stay tuned.

*edit-- what brohawk said is not necesarily true. There is nothing wrong with the hood, ESPECIALLY if you need to keep the tank looking good while being closed-topped. It's almost as if he's not aware that the filter assembly is a separate unit from the hood. All I did was removed it and replaced it with a Red Sea nano filter. But the stock lighting that came IN the hood, that's another story. It blows.
I was lazy about typing too much... Yes, if you take the filter assembly out and replace it w/ another filter, THEN you have the room for even lighting across the tank. But if you insist on keeping the eclipse filter, then your lighting mod will be 1) more limited in wattage and 2) only light up the front 1/2 of your tank.

I agree that if you have to have a hood as Church does, the eclipse looks great. And the empty shell works for his needs. But if you're forced to replace the filter AND the stock lighting, and you don't need a hood in the first place (well most of us don't), then I still stick by my original statement. The eclipse isn't worth the money for planted tanks. I know you already own it, so you're trying to retain your investment now. The above goes more towards those thinking about buying one for a future planted tank. But go ahead and mod it all you like, but you'll probably end up spending more in the long run b/c you'll eventually scrap the eclipse all together for topless or another hood option anyway. Speaking from personal experience.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

^ No arguments there.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, my retrofit thread is now posted. Click here.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Are you talking about the Hex5 tank?

current-usa.com makes retrofit light kits for Eclipse tanks but the smallest is
15" wide. I run Eclipse 12 tanks on my small community tanks (easy and was
50% off) and I've retrofitted one already which went from 1wpg to 2.6wpg
with the Sunpaq kit without getting rid of the filter system.

- Brad
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh right. The 5g Eclipse is the hex one. The 6g one is the one similar to mine... so, I guess, don't worry about the link I just posted then... Oh well.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No i have the 3 gallon corner one. I am really handy so i dont mind cutting and glueing the lid, but i would like to keep the filter, If i could just get some link to some very small retro kits that i dont know about then i might be able to fix something up. if it worked i could post a journal about it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Oh right. The 5g Eclipse is the hex one. The 6g one is the one similar to mine... so, I guess, don't worry about the link I just posted then... Oh well.
Do you run CO2? I "upgraded" my Eclipse (2) lighting by simply hanging a Coralife fixture in the free space between filter and light. But I never got a good CO2 level with that kind of filtration. I ended up dumping the Eclipse hood altogether.

Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
lighting suggestions, what lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode