Switching out DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Switching out DIY CO2

Does anybody just pour the sugar water off the yeast, add new sugar water when they need to change the bottle? Will this work as well as starting a new bottle altogether? I'm wondering because I'm going to start making home-made bread and want to use as little yeast as possible with the fish tanks. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
no, the reason you'll need to change out the water is because the alcohol that the yeast creates will eventually kill all of the yeast off, so you'll need to put in new yeast. the sludge that gathers at the bottom can be reused though, so don't like scrub out the bottom, just pour out and refill. i dont think you need all that much yeast in the sugar-water to start producing CO2 anyway.

if you can make homemade bread though, that is REALLY cool.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm thinking of re-doing the sugar water more frequently than the 2 week interval I've seen recommended for refreshing the whole yeast mixture; and starting a new solution from scratch less frequently, like every 4-6 weeks. We'll see how my bubble production does.

A jar of bread yeast is only supposed to be good for 6 months after it's opened. Chances are that unless you're baking bread *really* often, you won't go through that quantity in that time, so a 1/4 tsp every so often to recharge your CO2 mixture probably won't hurt your baking plans.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
no, the reason you'll need to change out the water is because the alcohol that the yeast creates will eventually kill all of the yeast off.
Just thinking about it (this is a debate I've been having internally since I started my DIY and my biochemist/hobby brewer husband suggested feeding the yeast colony frequently), if you dump off the liquid (alcohol and sugar water) while the CO2 is still bubbling merrily away, clearly there are live happy yeast in there doing their thing, so with a fresh supply of food and a decrease in toxic waste, surely they will reproduce and regenerate quickly? Sourdough sponges keep for years if fed regularly, after all.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep my yeast in the freezer and have had it for over 6 months... still works fine!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
Just thinking about it (this is a debate I've been having internally since I started my DIY and my biochemist/hobby brewer husband suggested feeding the yeast colony frequently), if you dump off the liquid (alcohol and sugar water) while the CO2 is still bubbling merrily away, clearly there are live happy yeast in there doing their thing, so with a fresh supply of food and a decrease in toxic waste, surely they will reproduce and regenerate quickly? Sourdough sponges keep for years if fed regularly, after all.
Indeed, it does. When my yeast starts bubbling slowly, I dump most of the solution off (leave about 1/4 of it), add new sugar and water, and connect it back up. It starts faster than starting from new yeast too.

I'm considering getting some super yeast that can ferment up to 20% ABV. The only problem is that they seem to also be super fast - 20% in 5 days. Perhaps Champagne yeast is a better option.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
Indeed, it does. When my yeast starts bubbling slowly, I dump most of the solution off (leave about 1/4 of it), add new sugar and water, and connect it back up. It starts faster than starting from new yeast too. ...
Ditto.

That is what I do. Tara Nyberg recommends doing this as well.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, that's what I'll start to do then!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Here's a little more info about Nyberg: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post427039

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode