Custom DIY stand weight-bearing question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Custom DIY stand weight-bearing question...

Hey, I am using 2x3s, and was planning to have the narrow face up (higher compression strength, less chance of bowing), but I just got the stand pieces cut at Lowe's, and like a dummy, I got a couple of them cut too short. As such, I will need to put the broad face up in order to fit the tank.

This tank is actually an old Exo-terra turtle tank; due to the design of the tank frame, the weight is all supported at the corners (about 2"-3" across each corner).

It's also only 24"x18", so not very large. I am going to create a paludarium out of it. I'm also reinforcing the corners of the top and bottom with corner braces.

My question is this: Am I okay to place the tank on the broad side of the boards since the weight is just on the corners and I'm using braces, or should I put them with the narrow side up, and use a piece of ply that overlaps the frame to prevent any bowing?

It is a very basic stand, and will be similar to this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You're fine.

A 2 foot span of a 2X4 can withstand something like 2000 lbs, so having the narrow side up can probably hold close to 1000 lbs.

If you go to a local pet store and look at their 20 gallon tank stands, most of them are made completely out of particle board.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you familiar with a shape called "C" channel? It might be helpful to think of your tank as the same shape when viewed from the end. Channel is a very good item to resist bowing as the bottom part is held straight by the two vertical sides. The bottom does not bow because the sides can't bend across the wide cross section. Your tank can't bow down in the middle as long as the sides stay connected in much the same way as channel. Think of railroad bridges? Heavy sides that won't bow and they hold the bottom.

The only concern with the 2X3 would be if the wood were not totally good and dry so that it warped as it dried. No question about it holding the weight of the tank middle as the ends will be holding the load. If it were wet wood like treated lumber, it may warp and dry crooked which can cause all kinds of stress on the tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A sheet of thin plywood over the back of the stand will add a lot of strength, making it much stronger against loads caused by people (dogs?) bumping the ends of the tank. It would barely be visible.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone! Now I just have to go buy the right sized drill bit so I can actually get this thing put together. lol

|
|

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode