Raising a light fixture on a rimless tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raising a light fixture on a rimless tank

I have a 24' Current USA Sat+ light fixture I would like to raise up a couple of inches on a rimless tank. Are there any simple "railings" or "mounts" of some type that I can attach to the sides of the tank? PS. I am the poster child of non-handy.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would also like to know.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might throw out a couple thoughts that you may/may not like?
Strips of flat aluminum stock are available at Lowe's/Home Depot type stores or hardwares. Being aluminum, it is light weight, easy to cut and bend as well as does not rust.
Simple way might be to bend a 90 at the bottom so the end could go under the tank, run up the back and out over the top to hold the light. If you have a wooden stand and can drill the metal, it might work better to fasten the flat stock to the back of the stand?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interesting thought PlantedRich. I am looking more along the lines of something that could be clamped on the sides of the glass. The aquarium is already set up and partially stocked.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm trying to think of something fairly simple that would work for that, and right now the best I can think of is to poke around Home Depot or Lowe's, and find some sort of plastic rod/tube/bar that's slightly flexible. Maybe some bit of fake wood molding, acrylic corner gaurd, something like a yardstick?

cut it in pieces a few inches wider then the tank, and flex them into an arch and wedge them against the trim, and then set the light on top of that?

Not even sure that will work, but it's all that I can think of right now that wouldn't really involve building/tinkering.

Aaaand, nevermind, I just read the bit about it being a rimless tank.

Well, this would be ugly, but should be pretty easy, and I think it would work. Not permanent, but you could get probably a dozen pairs of these from one piece of wood:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...8PTG/204787882

Just cut it into pieces about as wide as the legs for your light, fit the groove part over the glass, and rest the light's legs on the tongue part.

Last edited by lochaber; 10-16-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: : /
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Next option I would think of is some type ceiling or wall mount.

Any potential for this type mount?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Not sure how close to the wall your tank is, but they make decorative shelf brackets with a hook on the end that could hold a light up and then you could have a shelf above. I used to use basic ones to hold a pool table light above my turtle tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If there is room available for it to stand next to the tank and you get up the nerve to give it a try, PVC pipe and fittings can be used to duplicate a coat rack to hang the light from. Requires 6 x 90 degree elbow's and two pipe "T" and depending on if it comes from the floor or just the desk top a few feet of PVC pipe.
Cut one piece 1" longer than the tank. Add an elbow to each end.
Then cut two pieces one foot longer than it takes to reach from the top of the tank to either the floor or the desk top. These will be the virtical columns. Place a "T" on the bottom of each on the middle hole.
Face the other two holes like the sides of the tank. Cut four pieces of the pipe about 8" long each. Place in each hole in those "T"s.
Put one elbow on each end of those pipes.
I probably would use 1" PVC and I might paint it black.
You may also want to add more length to the legs depending on your hanging equipment.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 10-16-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll bet you could whip something up out of Legos. It would be strong enough if you krazy glue them together. Yes, that's technically DIY but if a 3-year old can do it...

A guy did that recently and posted about it in our local group. His tank was not rimless but I don't see why the design couldn't be adapted easily enough:
http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...t-of-Legos-lol
(not sure if I can post a link to another forum here but I guess we'll find out!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode