DIY CO2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
DIY CO2 question

First of all, I'm new to the injection of CO2. I have been experimenting with a DIY setup using a couple 2 liter bottles and a recipe using yeast, baking soda, sugar and water. It was working fine for a couple weeks, but no measurements were taken as to how well (ppm etc). I made up a new bottle thinking the old had run out and got it set to a couple bubbles/sec into a fluval's intake. This ran fine for a couple days until this morning when I awoke to the smell of bread dough The pressure seemed to have been to great for the hose and over half the mixture was spewed over everything in the tank stand.

Do you think this was simple a blockage somewhere in the line? I was using an airline gang valve with the screw type adjustment and a check valve inline. I had tested the system for leaks a couple different times, so the airline was nice and tight in the cap, until this morning

Thanks for any info you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like it. Some plans suggest cutting the tube that goes into the bottle at an angle. It helps to keep stuff from the bottle building up in the tubes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Don't try to ADJUST the bps of diy, it will never be consistent. As for gettin it into the tank, your bottle has to be tipped or tube too long. I make it so that the bottle is filled 1/2 -2/3 and then the tube only extends to the bottom of the cap. No need for more. There is no way for it to magically jump through the air into the hose, so it had to tip at some point.

EDIT, i see what you are saying. Ditch the gang valve. It is completely pointless to try to regulate diy, as it changes constantly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
OK, thanks for the info. I didn't know it was always changing...man what a sticky mess.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raslad View Post
Sounds like it. Some plans suggest cutting the tube that goes into the bottle at an angle. It helps to keep stuff from the bottle building up in the tubes.
The tubing that's cut at an angle is to allow it to be easily threaded through the hole in the cap.

Yes, you can't really regulate DIY CO2 flow. Use a gas separator next time too, I'll help prevent any yeast mixture from gunking up too much of your tubing and most importatnly, prevents the yeast mixture from getting into your tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
WC's, like 2x 30% in 48 hours, add some salt (kills yeast) and then make sure you have a control valve ( or conversely a small leak) in your Co2 system that will kick in if your intake pressure is too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode