Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	378305

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 10-9-14 at 5.29 PM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	378313

My baby dwarf tears need co2!!

so as you can see, I have a DIY paintball C02 setup.
Im using an ASA adaptor, pressure gauge, and needle valve.
I must have looked up a million tutorials on how to set it us.
I was feeling confidents in setting it up.

The thing is that when i try to turn the adaptor very gradually, the airs seems to POP!! I get a TON of bubbles coming out of my diffuser, even when i have my needle valve in the off position. Then of corse, I try to turn it down and thats when the water from the tank comes up the tubing.

I see that most people use empire tanks. The tippmann tank was the only tank I have filled. I'm wondering if it is possible for the tank I'm using to run at a pressure that is just too high?

anyways I would appreciate the help

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
thats the problem with a DIY paintball setup that uses those cheap valves....they dont really work to be honest. Also its not the tank that determins the pressure its the regulator itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i agree with Lamiskool. those ASA valves are no bueno. if you can afford it, go for the aquatek reg with solenoid.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
thank ya for the advice. Im sad it didn't work out. I thought it would so if i went with an aquatic regulator i can't use the paintball tank. is this correct?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not a paintball user so this may be way off, but I don't see it necessary to go all the way from what you have to full blown. Nice possibly but not absolute necessary?
You have a valve which is not meant for gas and fine control like we need to bubble just a tiny bit of CO2. So I would first look at switching out the part which is giving you trouble. Would it make sense to get a good needle valve to replace the valve you have?
Anywhere close to Gainesville? I would think about getting a really high quality needle valve (NV-55) from Fabco Air Products and barb fittings to put it inline rather than hard plumbed.
Link to their catalog.
http://www.fabco-air.com/pdf/Sec_12.pdf

The NV-55 and NV-55-18 are the same internal but the NV-55-18 is quite heavy and also a bit more expensive. The NV-55 uses a small fitting called 10-32 which can be found on auction sites or other places. They are not strong enough for hard plumbed use but I find it works fine for me using it inline on the CO2 tubing.

Just thinking of it as a step up without going full blown on changing out the whole unit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflach View Post
thank ya for the advice. Im sad it didn't work out. I thought it would so if i went with an aquatic regulator i can't use the paintball tank. is this correct?
there are regulators made for paintball co2 tanks, that what beedee ment when he/she said go with a aquatek paintball regulator. (aquatek is a brand)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

The Aquatek mini is the only one they sell that is made for paintball cans, the others need a adapter.
Here is a link to the one I think they are talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CALIFORNIA-Regulator-Mini/dp/B008TJCPSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412921566&sr=8-1&keywords=aquatek+co2
I have one and have been using it for 4 months, only once has it tried to kill all my fish . They said new co2 tanks will have junk in them so if it gets stuck then you need to open the silenoid and clean it out.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks again everyone. This is my first post on this cite and I didn't expect much a response so this is awesome. Maybe I'll give the aquatek a go. It seems to be pretty decent for the price.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i should have been more specific, aquatek mini paintball. i am on my second one, the first one had an issue with the solenoid burning out after 6 months or so...outside the warranty period.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode