Custom LED light and CO2 reactor pictures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Custom LED light and CO2 reactor pictures

Here is my 29 gallon tank that I am going high tech with.

The light is a piece of 0.08 inch thick aluminum bent into a reflector with six 10w Chinese LEDs thermal epoxied to it. these LEDs were about $1 each on ebay from a US seller. Their color temperature is 6500K. I am currently running all the LEDs in series for a total of about 60V at 1A. I hope to build a custom boost driver for the light soon so I can run from a computer power supply.

I built a custom sheet metal brake to bend the light fixture which works well. I used a piece of wood with a radius routed on the edge to achieve the curved edges on the reflector. The open ends of the reflector are caped with wood. The paint is one coat of metal primer plus two light coats of grey textured paint.

CO2 is currently being produced by the standard yeast and sugar mix in a 2L bottle. The reactor is 10 inches long and made with clear 1.5 inch PVC pipe. The ends are 1.5 to 0.75 reducers. The fitting that connect to the flexible filter tubes are custom machined from solid PVC rod. They are a slip fit to the reduces on one end and a press fit to the flex tubing on the other end. The CO2 is injected into the reactor through another custom fitting that fits into the 0.25 inch CO2 tube and is epoxied to the reactor on the other end. The CO2 tube is standard black vinyl, none of the special CO2 rated tubing.

My drop checker has been yellowish green so my CO2 level is fairly high.

I have been fighting some Blue-Green Algae which has been somewhat killed by adding KNO3 to the tank.

Sorry for not taking pictures of building these things, I am better at making things than taking pictures it seems.

The tank was just planted today so don't mind the mess.

My specs:

Aqueon 29 gallon
Sunsun HW-320
One 2L bottle DIY CO2
Custom reactor
Custom LED light at 60W
Special Kitty Substrate
Rocks from backyard
100W heater
EI ferts

Here is a link to a gallery of pictures of this http://imgbox.com/g/7gBPdLImoT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool build, the hood looks really neat! Are the bubbles staying in the reactor?

Last edited by Fissure; 10-04-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: -
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
can i get a link to the led's? i may have a way for you to power them for cheap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Nearly all bubbles stay in the reactor. Maybe once every 20 minutes some small number of CO2 bubbles come out of my filter output tube. I suspect what happens is the CO2 bubbles get smaller and smaller in the reactor until they can't float well and get sucked down into the filter. The bubbles that do make it to the filter though are small, I estimate 90% of the CO2 has been extracted by this point.

If anyone else wants to make a similar reactor I do advise you make it 12 inches long rather than 10 inches as I did to be sure you get 100% of your CO2 dissolved.

My drop checker is yellow-green so I am getting plenty of CO2 dissolved. A real pressurized tank and regulator will be my next step!

My LEDs are Ebay item number 191084925548
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
well if your in to diy type of thing you can get a power board from Ti for a "free sample". i got one and its sweet. it has an input of 7-36 volts and output of 3-12volts at 6 amps. i can adjust it any way i see fit. to get power you could use a laptop power supply off of ebay but im not sure about a plug unless you hard wire it in.

the one i got is the PTN78020WAH
http://www.ti.com/product/ptn78020w

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode