cheap mech timer + 12v transformer + co2 solenoid = co2 control? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
cheap mech timer + 12v transformer + co2 solenoid = co2 control?

I searched briefly for this and didn't find anything. What I'm wondering is if I got a cheap mechanical timer (the dial kind) and a 12 volt transformer like is used to charge cell phones etc. but 12v and connected that 12v transformer to the 12v leads on a co2 solenoid, would that work as a cheap co2 controller?

The solenoid just works w/ constant current right? So if the timer opens up for the period of time desired during the day, and the timer has a 12v transformer plugged into it that is wired to the solenoid, that should work as a timed relay right?

I don't want to get into the aquacontrollers just yet but wanted a cheap way to turn the pressurized co2 on and off. This rig would be very cheap and I can't see why it wouldn't work. Anyone try this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Yes. This is actually what most people do. Controllers are extravagent gadgets compared to a Plug in the wall timer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
My solenoid works on 120v so it plugs right into the timer which is plugged into the wall. The solenoid is closed when off and open when on. I believe its a clippard which are commonly available at about $30.

If you want a controller, other than based on time, add a ph Controller to drive the CO2 solenoid based on the PH of the tank. Several brands are around, approx $120

You way will work, just more wires to splice together with the 12v transformer and 12 v solenoid.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
+3. Mine is controlled the same way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
most people do just use a solenoid plugged into a timer. i do.

however i am curious as to why you are asking about using a solenoid that runs on 12v dc. it would work just as well...

but unless you already have one on hand you should buy one that runs on 120v ac. then there is no need for a transformer, you just plug it into a timer.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the responses. Good question on the 12v vs 120v. The solenoid I was looking at was a 12v, but now that you've made me realize theres a 120v solenoid, that's the answer. Now I'm trying to find a co2 supplier who's open on weekends. Every welding supply joint I've called is only open M-F and 9-5. Argggg. My next route is the paintball guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode