LED Build, 465 Watts (Bridgelux EB Strip LEDs, prev. Vero18) *Updated 2017-01-18* - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
so if you didn't have a big heatsink and started from scratch. would you just mount the whole mess to a metal plate? or do you think the heatsink is needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah I would try it just out of curiosity
Though keeping them as cool as possible is no bad idea since they will perform better if at a lower temperature. But investing in a serious heatsink for them might be a waste of money since I think the heat transfer from the PCB the leds are mounted on are poor at best, no metal backside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #153 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So just noticed it has been 6 months since I started using the EB leds and just wanted to update. And the good news there really is nothing to update about. They are all running strong and had no issues with burnouts and heat etc. Held up for some accidental water splashes as well though nothing I would recomend ofc

post #154 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It is a complete travesty that the pictures are no longer up. This is a fantastic thread.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #155 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No idea why the pics are down though :S

post #156 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seems like I can see the pictures if I quote and go to the urls directly, but for some reason they won't link with [ img] seems like they might only let you link now from approved sources or something?
post #157 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
they might only let you link now from approved sources or something?

Good possibility.

Had problems w/ my images posting till I got the free "cert" from my web host.
things seem to be working for me again, though a bit sporadic at times.
Though that could just be a population lag (???)
not sure it's a https thingy or not. Should have read the paper work but believe its some sort of google requirement.
Quote:
This server uses a Domain Validated (DV) certificate. No information about the site owner has been validated. Data is protected, but exchanging personal or financial information is not recommended.
No idea..

The MACHINES have taken over, I am but a pawn..

Some outside "borrowed" photos didn't and still don't work..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-23-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: edit
post #158 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

Fissure,
what are the width and length dimensions of your heatsink? I have read your posts and I cannot find that info. Thank you
post #159 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat39 View Post
Fissure,
what are the width and length dimensions of your heatsink? I have read your posts and I cannot find that info. Thank you

first post..
Quote:
Heat sink (Black anodized) from Birmingham Aluminum UK. Measuring 1490x250x80 (mm)
59x10x3 inches roughly..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #160 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

of course! the first post! Thank you jeffkroll. I am making slightly smaller clone of this light using a makers slim heatsink
post #161 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Jeff for answering. Also I have changed the heatsink after the first build and the swap to the bridgelux strips. It is the same dimension except the height is aprox. 20mm instead of 80 mm, cutting down on the weight a lot.

post #162 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

Fissure,
I am building a lighting system using yours as a very close guide. I love the look of your tank and am trying to replicate it in a smaller form. The tank is a 72g (272l) bowfront, 48" X 13" to the bow which is 18" (122 X 33 to 46 cm). 21" (640 cm) deep minus the substrate.
I have decided to use a Makerled slim hood kit 122cm long. I have verified via 3d CAD that 2 groups of 6 560mm strips will fit. Without overdriving the strips that will give me a max of 15,500 lumens. With a moderate overdrive, 20,000 lumens.
Using your light as a guide, I am contemplating a total of 6 5700k, 4 5000k and 2 4000k, in two mirrored groups My question is this: at the risk of complicating my driver design, is this a good mix of color temperatures? I have room on the heatsink to substitute 280mm strips for some of the 560mm strips with a moderate change in the drive electronics. Since I am using one buck drive per strip. That microATX case has lots of room and the parts are very cheap. Is it worth it to get a better spectrum of light, and more control over hour to hour intensity.
Thank you.
post #163 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Fissure,
I am building a lighting system using yours as a very close guide. I love the look of your tank and am trying to replicate it in a smaller form. The tank is a 72g (272l) bowfront, 48" X 13" to the bow which is 18" (122 X 33 to 46 cm). 21" (640 cm) deep minus the substrate.
I have decided to use a Makerled slim hood kit 122cm long. I have verified via 3d CAD that 2 groups of 6 560mm strips will fit. Without overdriving the strips that will give me a max of 15,500 lumens. With a moderate overdrive, 20,000 lumens.
Using your light as a guide, I am contemplating a total of 6 5700k, 4 5000k and 2 4000k, in two mirrored groups My question is this: at the risk of complicating my driver design, is this a good mix of color temperatures? I have room on the heatsink to substitute 280mm strips for some of the 560mm strips with a moderate change in the drive electronics. Since I am using one buck drive per strip. That microATX case has lots of room and the parts are very cheap. Is it worth it to get a better spectrum of light, and more control over hour to hour intensity.
Thank you.
Sounds like good mix of color temps there. Dimming is surely desirable with these LEDs as they output some serious light. The case I built is still going strong and working nice, though it was some work to put it together and the driver boards are custom made by O2Surplus just so you know. Not sure if that answers your questions?

post #164 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

Yes you answered my questions! I would love to use the O2 surplus boards.. Did you know Aaron passed away? So I am planning on using Coralux boards.
A lot of light indeed. At 180% thats 22,000 lumens.....
post #165 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes you answered my questions! I would love to use the O2 surplus boards.. Did you know Aaron passed away? So I am planning on using Coralux boards.
A lot of light indeed. At 180% thats 22,000 lumens.....

Check out bluacro current adj dimmable boards..
https://blueacro.com/acroiq/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode