Beach Driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beach Driftwood

I live in Hawaii and spend a lot of time at the beach and often times come across nice pieces of driftwood. I was wondering if I were to soak the wood in a diluted chlorox and water solution and then boil it two or three times to kill all parasites and bacteria and to get rid of the all the salt would it be safe to use in a planted tank with fish? To hold the pieces of driftwood down I plan to glue it down to a piece of glass with silicone adhesive made for aquariums.

Thanks a head of time for all comments and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Craig
That seems like over kill to me. I think soaking in freshwater twice thoroughly then letting dry in the sun would be sufficient. The salt would leach out in the fresh water and any bacteria that formed before or after the soaking would be killed in the sun.

Cheers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Just boiling should be sufficient; I didn't even do that. There's little to worry about since most SW organisms won't make it in FW.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
if there is enough, I would love to buy some from you. From Hawaii the shipping would prob be crazy high though...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
if there is enough, I would love to buy some from you. From Hawaii the shipping would prob be crazy high though...
Flat rate priority shipping ftw!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks

Aloha,

Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I'm off to gather some driftwood this weekend. I think I'll try soaking it in boiling water followed by a rinse and short soak in tap water, and then a thorough drying in the sun. Once I get it all set up I'll try posting some pics.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven't been in the hobby long but I picked up some driftwood from a freshwater river near me to use in my tank. The biggest issue I noticed was the tannins that were in the wood. It took a long time of boiling to get rid of them, about an hour and a half. Course I didn't have a big enough pot so I did what fit then flipped them to get the other side. Once boiled I scrubbed them with a brush and attached suction cups to the bottom to hold them down. I used cheap suction cups and after about a year in the tank they don't hold like they used to. I have to be very careful not to bump the wood when cleaning.

I found this as a reference: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

I didn't change the water in the middle of boiling..that prolly would have made it quicker!
Here is a pic shortly after I put it in the tank.

BTW what kind of Toyota do you drive? As my name gives away I have a 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode