Sump for vivarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sump for vivarium?

I am making a big vivarium with a rather large "pond" area... the tank is 48x36x24 and there is around 4inches and a half of water in the false bottom which is around 33gal.
The swimming/planted area is around 5 gallon so I will have to make some research to see if some species of fishes could be comfortable in such a restraint area.

I am thinking about building a sump, to enhance water quality and make it super easy to control water level in the vivarium.
This is where I am not too sure how to build it!! Do I need to know what fishes I want to put in there first?
I want to keep this rather simple, best bang for your bucks kinda thing as the pond area won't be the main feature of this tank but I still want to make it good looking and healthy, with plants and fishes if possible.

The tank I want to use is a 28gal tank (30x12x18) so this would be a total of around 50gal of water with just 10% swimmable...
Water will probably be quite acidic because of the susbtrate (made with coco fiber, peat moss, fir bark, coal, crushed leaves, sphag moss) in the vivarium that will be leaking in the false bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
#1... I don't see this happening without drilling the tank for the overflow...or if you
wanted it very elaborate, a sump above the tank which would have the overflow in
it and this drained back into the tank. That would put the pump in the main tank instead of in the sump. Might have the water coming down a log which sticks upin a corner of the tank like a tee stump which would be a good place to grow some of this.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=56610
#2... I have an odd feeling of apprehension about the "fir bark" which I can't quite put a finger on as to why...might check that for "fish safe"...
Some fir trees carry an insecticide in the sap which naturally protects the tree from them. Red Wood trees and Cedar trees are two of them.
And BTW considering what size the "pond" in the terrarium is you could probably use 50% and still be safe but sumps are usually only 1/3rd full from looking at pictures of them that were in use when the picture was taken.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The overflows and everything is already all drilled and setup.
Just need to decide how i'll build this sump/filter tank!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Attachment 372217

something like that?
Almost I notice some models with a second glass separator between the refugium and return pump sections...something I don't understand or is it useless?

also I was reading about syphons and bubble traps and other various things...
Should I consider any of this for my setup?
Basically all I want is water quality, with possibly couple fishes if I can find a specie that will do well in such a small area, given the enhanced water quality.

Thanks for your advice!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most of the advanced features in a sump are for saltwater systems where there is more equipment and requirements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah such as a skimmer and live rocks right?
So are you suggesting that my idea is good enough? or overkill? ;p
I want good water quality because I don't want the stream to become fuzzy slimy whatnot!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think a sump could be really useful for a vivarium/paludarium, as it would allow you to keep a constant water level in the tank (the level in the sump changes with evaporation/top-offs).

You could also put the heater in the sump to keep it out of sight, and use the sump for easier water changes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 for sumps being awesome

Once you design / build the sump all you really need is some media, a heater, and a pump.

I don't think the volume of the sump matters really. you will have more than enough filtration for the small amount of swimming space you have. Any fish that can tolerate the swimming space will be very happy IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh yes for all those reasons I am definitely making a sump for this setup as this will be my masterpiece vivarium hehe
what I am wondering is how to build it!!
I don't have enough knowledge about aquariums ;( so would that setup I am proposing be good enough?

Also if you guys have suggestions for fishes lemme know I like bright colored fishes!! They must be easy to care for as I am not very good with em... I tryed guppies and I kinda failed I have two harlequin fishes and I kinda like em. I thought about neons fishes too
Ultimately if I had more skills with fishes, I'd really like killifishes!!!

Thanks for the input guys!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you are setting up a paludarium/vivarium and it's not specifically for fish, I'd strongly suggest going with feeder guppies.

No clue if this is what you've already tried, or why you had problems with them, so...

Aside from that, they are pretty small fish that don't need much room to live in, and they tend to do pretty well in a wide variety of water conditions. Plus, their fecundity and live-bearing, when combined with even a meager bit of plants or shelter makes it likely that there will usually be some juveniles/babies hanging around.

As to killies, I've only kept the Pseudepiplatys annulatus, but it was pretty undemanding and entertaining. very active and interactive, and usually a top-dweller.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.png
Views:	144
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	375529
Can you guys see this schematic of my sump?
Does it look good?

I think I'll give the guppies another try... Previous problem might have been because they were with other type of fishes. I noticed zebra danios attack the guppies.. also have snails and harlequin fishes. For some reason, the guppies never exploded like I hear they do. They didn't die either.. just didn't colonize.

I really love how they look when bunched together plus it would totally fit my vivarium's pirate theme
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwoGiZ View Post
Attachment 375529
Can you guys see this schematic of my sump?
Does it look good?

I think I'll give the guppies another try... Previous problem might have been because they were with other type of fishes. I noticed zebra danios attack the guppies.. also have snails and harlequin fishes. For some reason, the guppies never exploded like I hear they do. They didn't die either.. just didn't colonize.

I really love how they look when bunched together plus it would totally fit my vivarium's pirate theme
You may want to think more about the overflows. A simple overflow is very easy, but will be noisy since air will also be getting sucked down.

There are designs that can be silent but require multiple holes.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh really?... I cut a piece of tubing in an angle for the end of the overflow... I think it may be fine.. also I have 3 of them around the vivarium. Problem is that 2 of em are sealed under the false bottom..
I ll have to test this to see if I can bare with the annoyance or not!!!
Thanks for the tips!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump!
Here's a video of some of my concerns size wise for my sump...
I am still trying to figure out what I really need...
I am reading mostly good stuff about wet/dry bioballs filter but also some people saying it might end up just being a nitrate factory?
I mean there will be lotso water, few fishes in there.. should I be concerned? But then again, its a vivarium so land stuff might end up in the water.. like flies and such.

As it is now, I think I'll be sticking to original idea unless someone chimes in with better advice!!

Here's the video of my concern.. any help will be most appreciated!!!
THanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3h5tWaEZY
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's the problem with "human biofilters". Nitrate factory. That's why my over the tank river will have aerial plants in it. . I just haven't started yet.

But if your vivarium has enough plants they should be able to handle the bulk of the nitrates. It's a matter of balance between what your fauna will create and what plants can absorb.

Heck throw in plants (pistia stratiotes) in your sump

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode