LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
38 g too big for diy co2?

not sure how to ask this so bare with me
i hear larger tanks usually need too many 2 liters to be practical
with 38g am i better off with surface agitation or an air stone rather than trying to use diy co2?
seems no mater what i do i have algae, i use almost no ferts. only maybe 4-5 drops of flourish comp per week at water changes and its still covered in blck brush algae and a billion other types..
i use 4ft t12 with 2 38watt bulbs on for 6hrs a day
i hve 14 ember tetra 2 gbr 5 otos 2 kuhlis
and lastly, somehow i feel like i had less algae back when i used an air stone before i used c02.. but i may be wrong

any info helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:00 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Inconsistent co2 levels is one primary cause of algae. The biggest challenge with DIY is maintaining a steady rate. It's best to have multiple bottles with staggered start times. Even on small tanks, two is better than one.

Im having good success with DIY on my 75 gallon using four 3 litre bottles, changing out two per week. I stay between 38 and 42 bubbles every ten seconds, or right at 4 bps. Also required is a leak free system and good diffusion. You can check my journal for more details on the set-up, pg 3 I believe.

Having said that, it sounds like you probably have a nutrient deficiency - another sure fire cause of algae. Flourish comp only contains micros, and "4-5 drops" a week is literally nothing for a tank that size. You need to be sure the plants are getting everything they need, both macros (N,P,K) and micros. Otherwise they stop growing and algae takes over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 09-17-2014 at 04:15 AM. Reason: .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i use 6 for my 38g, changing 3 a week
and my plants are all fine, i forgot to mention i add potassium aswell, they get nitrogen from the fish and phosphorus from the fishfood. the few drops of comp is just for good measure. though i get your point, i dont believe adding more nutrients will do anything but fuel the algae, i kinda know this cus i used to use more and had to slow down because of the algea. i was using full doses of flourish comp and potassium when the outbreak started and have slowed down with little effect on the plants. i may need to add more potassium for my stem plants (few pinholes)but other than that its all growing fine

so im thinking the problem was a mix of the lighting and too much nutrients

Last edited by Ras; 09-17-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: 6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode