Cerges with Fluval 406-Reduced flow issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Cerges with Fluval 406-Reduced flow issue

I posted an issue in the cerges DIY thread, but figured rather than clutter that I would post my own here to seek assistance.

I used this for my housing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VZ2O2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I kept the initial setup simple to make sure it would work. I just have two 3/4 brass barbs screwed in to the sides. On the in side coming from the Fluval I have a tee for my co2 line to enter the reactor. This housing only fits a 1/2" PVC pipe that I have about 1" from the bottom of the reactor.

When I plumbed it up to the filter and turned it on I basically lost most of the flow from my filter. I've read that my filter should work and shouldn't lose much flow if any. So I'm not sure the issue here. Can someone help and shed some light on my problem?

*Edit* I'm wondering if using the 1/2 pvc inside the housing is causing this? It fit perfectly into the existing hole. Would using a large piece fit around the hole be better and maybe bring the flow rate back up?

Last edited by bsantucci; 09-15-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pipe size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It definitely could be the 1/2" PVC. I have a fluval 306, and when I had some 1/2" elbow connections in my reactor it restricted flow. I moved them all to 3/4" and my flow came back. Also, I did 3/4" CPVC inside with a coupler that went over the existing hole instead of inside of it. You can see the CPVC and coupler in the pic below, and you can also see the 1/2" elbows on the reactor that restricted my flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just had an additional thought as well. My filter is a fluval 406. When someone wise than I responds and if it is thought my filter is not strong enough, is it possible to plumb a pump inline into my setup? My thought it filter output to pump, then pump to cerges, then out to the tank. Would that work? I haven't worked with pumps before so not sure if inline like that works or if it needs its own lines.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
It definitely could be the 1/2" PVC. I have a fluval 306, and when I had some 1/2" elbow connections in my reactor it restricted flow. I moved them all to 3/4" and my flow came back. I think my PVC inside is a bigger piece. I did 3/4" CPVC with a coupler that went over the existing hole instead of inside of it.
Thanks for the reply! So if you're using it on a 306, my 406 should be more than adequate to handle this.....ugh.

My filter housing actually uses 3/4 connections so that shouldn't be issue, so maybe it is the 1/2 PVC. I guess I'll get to home depot to give it a shot. Such a pain to keep connecting and disconnecting the unit, but I really want to get this right.

I assume you had to use pvc cement to connect the coupler and larger pvc?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Thanks for the reply! So if you're using it on a 306, my 406 should be more than adequate to handle this.....ugh.

My filter housing actually uses 3/4 connections so that shouldn't be issue, so maybe it is the 1/2 PVC. I guess I'll get to home depot to give it a shot. Such a pain to keep connecting and disconnecting the unit, but I really want to get this right.

I assume you had to use pvc cement to connect the coupler and larger pvc?
It's all just press fit — no cement. It's been in there over a year just fine. Not saying it's the right way to do it, just that it's what I did.

And yes, they suck to take apart once everything is filled with water.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's all just press fit — no cement. It's been in there over a year just fine. Not saying it's the right way to do it, just that it's what I did.

And yes, they suck to take apart once everything is filled with water.
Cool, thanks again. I'll bring the head to home depot tomorrow and see if i can find some 3/4" pvc and a coupler to work how you said.

My brass barbs on the input/output are already 3/4 so they should be fine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PVC didn't fit in mine, but CPVC did (the yellowish stuff).

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
PVC didn't fit in mine, but CPVC did (the yellowish stuff).
I'll bring my housing head and see what fits best in the store tonight. I'll find something that works hopefully.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The stock tubing of most medium sized filters (~300gph of flow) is around 5/8" internal diameter.

That doesn't sound much bigger than a 1/2" tube (pipe), but it has 50% more cross section area, so it flows around 50% better than 1/2". And 3/4" pipe flows over twice what 1/2" pipe will.

Here's some rough numbers for reference:

Tube Size | cross section | max flow rate (approx)
1/2".................. .195" ................. 200gph
5/8" ................. .301" ................. 300gph
3/4" ................. .442" ................. 450gph
1" .................... .785 .................. 800gph
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
The stock tubing of most medium sized filters (~300gph of flow) is around 5/8" internal diameter.

That doesn't sound much bigger than a 1/2" tube (pipe), but it has 50% more cross section area, so it flows around 50% better than 1/2". And 3/4" pipe flows over twice what 1/2" pipe will.

Here's some rough numbers for reference:

Tube Size | cross section | max flow rate (approx)
1/2".................. .195" ................. 200gph
5/8" ................. .301" ................. 300gph
3/4" ................. .442" ................. 450gph
1" .................... .785 .................. 800gph
Thanks for the reply. I think a number of things were at play here. I've gone bigger on all my fittings, 3/4 connectors and barbs. I am trying another housing also which I will use a 1" PVC on. Hoping that works. I'll get it hooked up later this week when I can be home to monitor it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When i put my griggs reactor on my 55 . We had flow issues too ..i bought a cobolt inline pump as a booster for the 406 trust me i know i was getting microbubbles and very little flow prior to the inline .. now the flow is a lil above what i had before the reactor. .keep in mind i accidently left the pvc pipe full lenth so it sits 4in above the 55

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode