DIY co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY co2

How do you make DIY Co2 properly? (Exact ingredients and amounts please.) I cannot figure out how to get the right combonation. I am using a 16 oz water bottle.

10 gal RCS colony Tank (RIP):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Custom Built Mini-M Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
use bigger bottles, for starters. Then google diy co2, as there are hundreds of ways to do it. Use a 2l bottle though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
a 16oz water bottle won't give you any noticeable results. I am currently using a 20oz gatorade bottle, and that barely gives me any bubbles.

In a perfect world, you should use a 2 Liter coke or sprite or whatever bottle, and fill it with 6 cups of water, 3/4 cups of sugar, and a teaspoon or two of yeast. BUT the trick is sealing the bottle completely. Here is a quick step-by-step on how to make one.

1. Get airline tubing (3/8" i think) and make sure that it will reach the bottom of your tank and have plenty of slack for moving the bottle around.
2. Get a 2L bottle of coke.
3. Host a party and drink all of the coke :P
4. Drill a hole in the top of the coke bottle and insert the airline tubing through so there is about 1/2" of tubing inside the cap.
5. Cover the top of the cap with hot glue. I don't know exactly how far you should glue it, I guess, just go crazy to make sure that air won't escape.
6. If you want, put aquarium-safe glue on the inside. I just used a tiny bit of hot glue on the inside, but its probably not too great for my fish.
7. Fill up the 2L bottle with 6 cups of water and 3/4 of a cup to 1 cup of sugar. Let it sit like this (but with the cap on!) until the sugar completely dissolves into the water (basically just let it sit overnight.)
8. Put 2 teaspoons of yeast into the bottle, and screw the cap back on. Gently shake and swirl the bottle around for a little while, and after a few hours, the mixture should be readily producing CO2.
9. Call up a friend and have him give you a pat on the back for doing something really cool.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
and in a couple months you have a nice alcoholic beverage!!! it doesnt taste that good believe me -___-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lol Markopolo! Don't tell me you really tried it :O!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks alot guys i guess ill have to upgrade my bottle then...

10 gal RCS colony Tank (RIP):

New Custom Built Mini-M Thread:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

for tanks up to about 35 Gal, DIY CO2 works well, for any tank larger maintaining the right PPM for real growth can be problematic.

A pressurized CO2 system while a little pricey is by far the best method for larger tanks.

100 Gal Planted community
35 Gal Planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode