How do you make an inline co2 reactor? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you make an inline co2 reactor?

I'm pretty sure that there has been a lot of threads here about inline co2 reactors, and tutorials, but if you know of a good tutorial, and of a diy reactor that has worked efficiently for you, please share a link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Not a tutorial but a picture of the one I made this week. Seems to be working good and a simple DIY.

I had a old reactor sitting around. Bought a .170"ID Tube X 1/4"MNPT Dubl-Barb® Brass Male Connector from USPlastics. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...5275&catid=940 drilled on the return side put it all together and done. Very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	369489  

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Search Cerges reactor or Rex Griggs, everyone makes either of those lol

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

I went the hardware store way, with 2 inch PVC pipe. My reactor is about 10 inch long, mounted vertically, no bio balls inside and it can dissolve 100% about 6-8 bubbles per second. A longer one would give more time for the water to dissolve CO2.

I only used plastic fittings (no brass), pipe cement (those two small cans, one purple, one... whatever color), teflon tape, total cost under $20, works like a charm.

Just google diy inline co2 reactor.

These are not photos of my reactor, but I did something similar:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ne-CO2-Reactor

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ser-85573.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies my friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 PM

the cerges reactor is an awesome one, just installed it myself. the thread on this site is huge and should help. what fitting you use is gonna depend on your filters hose size

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=110100
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kelvin said.

Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Trent, what type of hose/pipe is that grey stuff in your picture-it looks very flexible.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjmia View Post
Trent, what type of hose/pipe is that grey stuff in your picture-it looks very flexible.
The hose came with the Fluval G3 filter. You may be able to order it from Fluval? I personally would go to the local hardware store and buy some poly tubing there. Would be much cheaper.

A trick to getting hose to flex to your needs is to boil hot water and place it in the sink submerge hose and wait a few minutes then quickly put it where needed. It's easier to work with when hot. When it cools it holds its position nicely. Try and make all your cuts before heating that way you take it from the sink to the application no messing around with it giving time to cool. GL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

Don't recommend inline ISTA

I installed the ISTA Max Mix CO2 Reactor inline with the outtake of my Fluval 406 Canister Filter. It worked great for a while, and diffused all the CO2 very efficiently. Unfortunately, after a few months, the increased demand of the reactor caused the canister motor to deteriorate until it barely functioned at all and I had to buy an entirely new filter.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarsen View Post
I installed the ISTA Max Mix CO2 Reactor inline with the outtake of my Fluval 406 Canister Filter. It worked great for a while, and diffused all the CO2 very efficiently. Unfortunately, after a few months, the increased demand of the reactor caused the canister motor to deteriorate until it barely functioned at all and I had to buy an entirely new filter.
Can you give us some more info on how the filter failed? I don't think the added strain from a reactor is the true cause.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Never use brass fittings if the come in contact with the water, brass WILL corrode. Any fitting you find in brass, is available in plastic at the hardware stores.

RAOK Club Member #151

Last edited by TankFreak420; 10-17-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: More info
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
Never use brass fittings if the come in contact with the water, brass WILL corrode. Any fitting you find in brass, is available in plastic at the hardware stores.
The question on this would be , what difference does it make?
Since most plumbing already has tons of brass involved, do you really want to worry about the last few inches that are in the tank? Brass , iron and copper are all used frequently to get the tap water to you and then it often comes out of a brass faucet. You can get a plastic faucet but it will be brass inside where the water runs.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
The question on this would be , what difference does it make?
Since most plumbing already has tons of brass involved, do you really want to worry about the last few inches that are in the tank? Brass , iron and copper are all used frequently to get the tap water to you and then it often comes out of a brass faucet. You can get a plastic faucet but it will be brass inside where the water runs.
I haven't seen a brass faucet that wasn't decorative in ages. They are pretty much SS standard. Trace elements of iron and copper in the water that is treated is not the same as a corrosive brass fitting on your tank pluming. And you treat your tap water with a conditioner before you throw it in your tanks right? That dose more than de-chlorinate.

RAOK Club Member #151

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode