DIY 15 Gallon Double Decker Build Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
DIY 15 Gallon Double Decker Build Journal

Alright well I managed to get my concept drawn tonight and thought I would post up the start of my build journal.

Here it is:

I have been trying to plan a stand build for a while now but just couldnt figure out what I wanted. Well finally got it together. 2 - 15 gallon tanks. The top will be my heavily planted tank with no resrictions on inhabitants. The lower will be my planted shrimp breeding tank. It will be display quality as well Im just tired of trying to keep them safe from others while there still very small. I know some one will probably bring up the weight issue for the upper tank not having a support on the front, trust me the problem has been addressed and accounted for. Will be built from 2x4's, 2x6's, 1/4" basswood sheet, and some steel reinforcement inside.

There is a lower cabinet door with internal hinges, and the covers above each tank will be held to brackets on the inside using earth magnets, so instead of having to hinge it out of the way you can just take it off completely.

Setup:

Filtration - They will both have there own Cascade 500 canister filter.

Co2 & Ferts- Upper will have Co2 based on ppm and EI dosing. Lower will have Co2 controlled by a pH monitor/controller and no ferts.

Lighting - Lighting for the upper tank is still in the air right now(probably a 70w 10k MH if I can get away with it. While the lower tank will have a 40W 6,5k/10K with lunar lights. All on seperate timers.

Stand - Im going to run multiple out lets through out. Lighting will be mounted to structure above for easy access. The tank offset to the front will also allow plenty of room for all cords and hoses to run behind the tanks down to the cabinet that will house the filters and Co2 tank. Im also going to use one peice glass tops for the tanks as well. The tanks are going to be drilled for an inlet and outlet for the filters too.

Any questions, comments, and all criticizm welcome!

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Its really pretty I dont think ive seen anything quite like it. I usually dont like big black boxy stands but this works very well. You will have to get pictures up as soon as its done. Can't wait! What do you use as the infrastructure?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux1tristan View Post
Its really pretty I dont think ive seen anything quite like it. I usually dont like big black boxy stands but this works very well. You will have to get pictures up as soon as its done. Can't wait! What do you use as the infrastructure?
Thanks a lot! Im really excited about the build. Hopefully it will be done in the next 2-3 weeks (thats setup and running).

I added the infrastruture information after you made this post

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Aw man that looks like it's gona be fun!

And really nice looking to boot . I can't wait to watch it progress, Good luck~!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM

CO2 and no ferts dosent sound good to me
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The co2 in the breeder tank is just to control the ph for optimal breeding conditions

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
co2 ph does not affect fish the same way it would if you say add fish...

does get some ro water it is much better

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmm yeah never thought about it like that...well judging by your tanks your on the up and in shrimp bring do you have good recomendations on how I should setup my lower tank

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)
this looks cool i will be watching this build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i love to watch grass grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome thanks for the support!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas about the wiring through out the cabinet. Im going to wire a set of outlets for the components, (ie., one outlet for both lights, and outlet for both heater,etc.) Im also going to mount a standard light cheapo light strip in the cabinet just so I can see when Im in there.

But I was wondering if anyone had done anything that was just handy or really conveient in there own stands or had seen and really liked

Thanks

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How are you going to support the upper tank? A 15g tank will weigh almost 150lb when full of water, it looks like you've got the upper tank cantilevered over the lower without any support on the front edge. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but I'd be very careful what materials you choose to use and how you plan the construction. If you've got an arc welder I'm sure you've got everything figured out already, if not you might want to start looking for someone who has an arc welder.

I know it would destroy the proportions but you might want to consider allowing more than 7" above each tank, that isn't really much room to get a net in there, or to get larger pieces of driftwood or rocks in and out.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I do indeed have and 220 arc welder. Thought I don't plan on getting it out for this build. I also do 3D design work for a machine fabrication shop....so I have access to all kinds of killer toys.

My plan for the upper is that I'm going to cut a bracket for each side out of 3/16" steel plate with 3/8" holes every 5" in the plate for5/16 coarse wood anchors . The plate will got from 22" off the ground and probably all the way to the top of that cabinet. The same plate will also T out to the end of the upper tank support. The plate will also have a 1" flange bent 90 to wrap around the back of the stand to be bolted on with coarse wood anchors as well.

I think that will be over kill as hell but you can never be tooooo safe.

Love to here back on your thoughts!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I agree with kornphlake. You have 7 inches between and that would be minus whatever support you have for the top tank. If it is a 2" by 2" you would have 5 1/2" gap. That wouldn't be very convenient for maintenance it could also cause clearance problems with your filtration device. and your lights dependent on what lights you use. I would rethink that part of the design. I like the basic concept a lot though.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

And to address the gap between tanks situation.

Your thoughts on that clearance are a very good point.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem as It will go through the tank because im going to have them drilled.

With the front panel off it will look like an upside down U. A 2x6 mounted its end on each end and then 3/4 mounted on those to create a shelf.

both tanks will have the light mounted to wood above them.

Hmm....Back to the drawing board I guess. Something I'm really gonna have to wrap my head around. I really really don't want to loose my proportions because I think that's what makes it look so good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode