Necessary Power Tools - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Necessary Power Tools

I'm thinking of buying power tools and was wondering what are the necessary tools to build a stand? It would be cool if I can use the tools to build a new kitchen cabinet too.

I have an idea but more experienced carpenters would have a better idea.

thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Small table saw (you can get them for like 100 bucks for a cheapo, but still good for small projects), Chop Saw (10" or bigger!), Drill (Cordless preferrable), sander (palm sander is usually sufficient)

I am sure there are other tools you can piece in also. What kind of budget are you working with? You can buy some "semi" inexpensive tools that will do the job, but remember, for the most part, you pay for quality and durability with tools.

Of course there are hand tools (hammer, tape measure, etc.) as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I like the cheapo Ryobi 18v stuff for most things, a decent Craig's list Tool hunt for the table saw is ideal.

Still, you can make a stand without a table saw easy, ask Home depot of Lowes to cut the main pieces and a circular saw can do the rest.
Those saws at Lowes etc are not going to be precise, less than 1/16th etc, but for most things, they should be fine.

The Ryobi stuff is cheap and they have many tools to play with.
For most casual around the home usage, they are well suited.
For tougher stuff, get a decent electric cord Cir saw etc off the CL's, you can also make a nice stand for the circular saw and DIY a table saw, or a router table or a sanding table, drill press etc etc.

Simply screw the tool onto the the table in the position you want.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Table saw, compound miter saw, router, drill. You can make just about anything with those tools. Add a small table top planer and you are set, but that is optional.

|
|
|
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
sweet, thanks for the input.. I'm sure this will help out other future carpenters as well.

I'm pretty handy but haven't been in a wood shop (school) for a long time.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
"carpenters" build houses. "woodworkers" build furniture. Sometimes woodworkers that specialize in cabinet construction are called "cabinetmakers". But never "carpenters". No matter what they tell you on the New Yankee Workshop.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
I would go with a drill with a cord over cordless. Cordless drills never seem to be as powerful even on a full charge, and they ALWAYS run out of power before the end of the project. A drill with a cord plugged into an extension cord will reach anywhere you want.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to youareafever
Table saw, router, and drill w/ cord are the only things i ever use.

craiglist is awesome, i got my table saw for cheap.

the best democracy money can buy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
clamps clamps clamps, kreg pocket holes kit

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by youareafever View Post
Table saw, router, and drill w/ cord are the only things i ever use.

craiglist is awesome, i got my table saw for cheap.
Agree with some of this & Tom. A used GOOD table saw is waaaaayy better than a new cheap table saw any day. And an 18v Ryobi drill with a spare battery on the charger beats an extension cord in my garage, or anywhere else around the house on those same any days.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A sliding compound miter saw is much more versitile than one that doesn't slide. It'll cost more but might be worth it to you if you plan on doing lots projects.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
Agree with some of this & Tom. A used GOOD table saw is waaaaayy better than a new cheap table saw any day. And an 18v Ryobi drill with a spare battery on the charger beats an extension cord in my garage, or anywhere else around the house on those same any days.

You ever had to drill a bunch of holes in a brick wall? Nothing is as good as a corded hammer drill for such jobs. I agree that cordless drills are convenient. I myself have several, but personally I'd recomend a corded drill if you plan on only owning one drill.

Last edited by RoyalFizbin; 08-22-2008 at 10:46 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well, people already talked about table saws. But what I like the most is having 2 cordless drills. One for drilling the pilot hold, one for screwing the screw in. It beats swapping the drill bit for the screw bit, back and forth, back and forth, even with a quick change system.

Grand Rapids/Kentwood, MI Buy/Sell/Trade: for any local person-to-person aquarium sales or trades. No fees, free signup. See what we have!

This is a non-profit community service.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Personally, I think a table saw is one of the most beneficial tools in a shop. I like having a chop saw, but a table saw can fill the gap of a chop saw where the chop saw is limited to chopping.

You can still make cross cuts or "chop" with a table saw, but you can't rip a large piece of plywood with a chop saw.

As far as drills go, I would get a corded if I could only afford one. A good corded drill will last a long time. A battery opperated drill is only as good as its battery. The batteries are up to 60% of the cost of the actuall drill, so do the math.

Routers are a very nice tool to have. Router tables are nice too. I would invest in a decent router table though. Don't buy a cheap one. Rockler has some great router table kits: http://www.rockler.com

As Kohlie mentioned, clamps. You can never have too many clamps. That is one area where I am deficient right now, and it slows my projects down considerably. I am considering buying some clamps on ebay in bulk as it is the best place I have seen for prices.

My next big tool purchases are going to be a jointer and a planer so that I can mill my own lumber and try to get things a bit streighter with nice flat edges. Defilately not as necessary for someone just starting out their tool collection, but if you have the money to invest then I guess the sky's the limit.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
"carpenters" build houses. "woodworkers" build furniture. Sometimes woodworkers that specialize in cabinet construction are called "cabinetmakers". But never "carpenters". No matter what they tell you on the New Yankee Workshop.
Yea but on a job site they (cabinet makers/installers) are just glorified wood butchers Hey if I wasn't a sparky (electricain) I would have loved to be a glorified wood butcher. Those guys are spoiled.

V P #8
Me, no Iphone nope not I. Heck I would not even have a cell if I was not married.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode