So... I was having trouble keeping puddles forming in my dry start tank after giving the higher parts of the substrate a good soaking spray. I tried using some airline tubing as a siphon, but more often than not, I would end up with aquasoil saturated water in my mouth. Tube with such a small diameter is also pretty average at keeping a siphon when you get the odd aquasoil pellet stuck in the tube.
It got me thinking. All I need is a sealed vessel, in which I am able to create a negative pressure, and have a hose going into it which will suck up the water.
I went to the hardware store and bought a smallish 5 litre bucket with lid, some 4mm nylon tubing, a couple of barbs (to insert into the lid and join the tubing to) and a rigid 4mm~ poly pipe tube.
I tried to get a bit fancy and I modified an airstone pump I had laying around. I wanted to use it to create the suction. It didn't end up working. Either my silicone job on the inlet was dodgy, or it just doesn't have the suction it needs to overcome the expanding air within the bucket as well as pulling the water up the tube. Nevermind that problem, I can always just suck on the tube which was my original plan.
Here is the finished product. I didn't think of taking photos of the build process, but it really doesn't need it with how basic it is.