DIY Carpentry 'Lite' Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
DIY Carpentry 'Lite' Help

I'm using this slick Microwave Stand/Cart from Target as a 2x10g tank stand, with a handy little drawer for food/fertz/etc. It's been holding steady for a few months, but I have nightmares about the top wood breaking, and I'll be switching out the top tank for a 20"12"12" (12g) rimless tank soon.

The wood is like 21"x14" or so and 1/2" thick, but it is made out of a few pieces, which I can only assume are glued together with some wood dollies in there or something.

Anyways, I'm gluing an identically sized piece of 1/4" plywood on top for piece of mind, but I have no ideas on how to trim it. I basically just want to cover the front and side edges so you can't see the original join the plywood on top. It will be 3/4" high total... just a piece of "L" trim? Or what? After I do that much, I'll stain it all. Should look pretty slick when I'm done. Thanks for any help or ideas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it's better if you glue them together first and trim them both together for exactness. Obviously, the original wood will get a little trim as well.

But I think that original piece should hold up fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
it's better if you glue them together first and trim them both together for exactness. Obviously, the original wood will get a little trim as well.
Not an option - I don't have a circular saw. The piece was cut @ the BORG. I've checked the measurements. The pieces are equal to within 1/32". The trim will hide this discrepancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
But I think that original piece should hold up fine.
I think so too, but I want to know so. I live in a 2nd story apartment and tank failure is simply not an option.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
macclellan - If you sent me some measurements and maybe detailed what you are looking for a little more, I could probably cut the trim however you like and ship it to you. The footprint of the tank you are talking about is pretty small so I don't think shipping would be too high.

I have an array of tools at my disposal, and I could make a dado cut, rabbit cut, or something of that nature that would probably be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Let me know.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The carpentry guru to the rescue! My dad (in Ohio) has a great workshop that I miss dearly.

21" x 15" x 1 3/16"
Note that the 21" dimension only leaves 1/2" on either side of tank.

Simple solution since I have only basic hand tools: I was originally thinking of just a 1.5" tall piece of trim to cover the front edge of the joined slab - but would this result in an unsightly edge of the trim joining the slab when viewed from above?

If I had the tools, or you by proxy: It would be better to start with a 2"x1" piece of trim, give it 1.5" x .5" rabbit cut so a little bit of the thinner part hangs down below the slab and the fat part sits on top of the slab by .5" - just a custom "L" piece I guess. I'd want the three exposed trim edges to be rounded somewhat. I suppose corners cut in the standard way (45 degree angle). I'm unsure if I'd want a design on the front face of the trim or just a plain plane.

Did that make sense, even remotely?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

how thick is the wood platform that you are talking about? 1 3/16"? I could take a piece of 1" x 2" oak and run a dado cut down the center. Then cut the piece with mitered corners to fasten to the outer edge. I could run them through the router table with a 45 degree chamfer bit to take the corners down.

You would just need to glue them into place, possibly drive a couple of finishing nails, and your done. (unless you want to sand it down, finish it, etc.)

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That sounds good mostly.
Yes, the platform is 1 3/16." It may vary slightly here and there since it will be two pieces together, which is why I was thinking rabbit over dado.
Also, look at the metal legs, they come very close (1/8") to the edge, which would interfere with a dado'd trim and not rabbit'd.
Mitered corners and chamfer pass sounds good. Might as well do all four edges with the trim. So 2x 21" edges and 2x 15."

Yes, I'll sand and stain it. Any opinions on staining the platform and trim different colors? Like one natural or light w/seal and the other a cherry sort of color?

What would the damage be? Will you work for shrimp? hehe.

I might just go ahead and get an ADA 45P (17.72" x 10.63" x 11.81") instead of the custom rimless tank. It will end up fitting the stand better anyways.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Will you work for shrimp? hehe.
How many other carpenters do you think have EVER been asked this question? ROFL

I really like that stand, Mac. Being a woman I'd want a tailored skirt or something to hide the "clutter" in the drawers, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hell yeah I'll work for shrimp. You have to promise to hold them for me though. I don't want any more shrimp going into the community tank. They just wind up being shrimp cocktail for the fish. I have to get another tank going.

I am going to start a project for Complexity the week after next hopefuly. I would do it next week, but I am going to be in a training class for work all week (CCNA bootcamp). It wouldn't be a big deal at all to get those pieces done when I start on hers.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Macclellan,
its cool as i`m using the same racks,although from Home Depot.I even have their big one /6 feet high/ with tens on it.
Just wanted to say this,as i never saw anyone else with these,
Dave

Own a Toyota?Need parts?Parts at wholesale!Call me at 1-800-651-1743 ask for Dave!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode