DIY Led fixture questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Led fixture questions

Hi,

i've been around 2011, i have a couple of posting on my previous tank but now i'm mounting a 90G. I mostly keep myself to Reading rather than to post.

well, i was hoping to get some advice on what colors should i use and its placement on the fixture. I do have experience with my previous DIY 72" led fixture for a reef. I do have my own controller and drivers also. I'm planning on using bridgelux from aquastyleonline.com

my tank is 48"x18"x24"high, i want high lighting because i will have some Hardy. I'm planning to keep discus mainly but this may change. I will make my own aquarium cover (Wood cover). I use aluminiun bars to place the leds and i can cut them as i need (i've the tools)

I'm very confused on what colors to use aside from red and 6500k, but mostly how much of each color and where on the fixture place them

hope for your help/suggestions and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hylik View Post
Hi,

i've been around 2011, i have a couple of posting on my previous tank but now i'm mounting a 90G. I mostly keep myself to Reading rather than to post.

well, i was hoping to get some advice on what colors should i use and its placement on the fixture. I do have experience with my previous DIY 72" led fixture for a reef. I do have my own controller and drivers also. I'm planning on using bridgelux from aquastyleonline.com

my tank is 48"x18"x24"high, i want high lighting because i will have some Hardy. I'm planning to keep discus mainly but this may change. I will make my own aquarium cover (Wood cover). I use aluminiun bars to place the leds and i can cut them as i need (i've the tools)

I'm very confused on what colors to use aside from red and 6500k, but mostly how much of each color and where on the fixture place them

hope for your help/suggestions and thanks
There are many approaches to this..
One note of warning aquastyle cyan's are not TRUE Cyan LED's but a composite..

Which should look like this:

Missing the whole point of adding Cyan in the first place..

Cyan is necessary to create a closer approx. to full daylight, and is missing, for a large part, in most "white" LED's
As is 660nm red
as is "purple"..

Going w/ Bridgelux from them, might as well just go generic fleabay diodes.. Cheaper..and probably the same thing.

If you are planning on dimming and channel control "quantity" of color is not soooo important..
Simplest, (well second simplest to one static array) is a R/G/B/WW/CW array..

mixing warm whites(2000-4000K-ish) with cool whites (5000k-8000k-ish) allows for a flatter overall color spectrum (cool whites being higher in blue, warm whites higher in red) and tailoring tone to taste..
colors are PAR boosters and visual enhancers..

not sure about overseas shipping but using Phillips LEDs from Steve's LED's is not much more expensive and more efficient than the Bridgelux.

Err. they are not "bad" LED's but at AS prices you can get better.. or equiv. cheaper..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-01-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addendum

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode