Co2 production from a brewmaster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 production from a brewmaster

Well I had a very good conversation with the owner and head brewmaster of Stoup brewing here in Ballard Wa. My question to him was concerning different yeast strains and brewers sugar. So here is what I learned. Common bread yeast has an alcohol tolerance of about 1% . This is why we see a spike in co2 production with a quick reduction shortly after. Essentially what we are doing is fermenting sugar and yeast into alcohol. This process kills the yeast strain! He recommended using champagne yeast which has a tolerance of about 18% alcohol!!!!! He also recommended using brewers sugar, its much less refined. He also said its considerably more $$$$!. Well I stopped at the local hombrew supply shop, I paid $1.00 for a packet of champagne yeast and $5.99 for 5 lbs of brewers sugar.... so hardly broke the bank. One other thing he recommended was a mineral pack they sell that feeds the yeast in the fermentation process (which I forgot to grab). Anyways I am trying it all tonight! Should be interesting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very intriguing. Please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
scx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The quick production initially is because the yeast are producing CO2 from respiration, not fermentation. Fermentation starts after all the oxygen in the media has been used up.

Having a tolerance of 18% alcohol doesn't matter if the yeast aren't producing enough volume of co2 for us and they usually don't. But hey maybe you'll discover a way to make it last much longer with more bottles!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

fermentation

What kills off our yeast is the alcohol that the fermentation process produces. The higher the alcohol percentage tolerance the yeast strain has the longer it will survive in our bottles, we still need to feed them but Theoretically we could simply feed the same yeast more sugar in the same bottle. So yes longer lasting bottle production or less mixing of our special brew. I forgot to grab the mineral feed that the yeast also need for healthier production, I will be adding that tomorrow.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
As a homebrewer who has played quite a bit with yeast, this interests me.

I like the idea of using champagne yeast, as it does have some serious alcohol tolerance, and is available in dry form making it cheaper than many other brewers yeasts (I often use liquid specialty yeasts at $6-8 per dose.. ouch). That said, it is still a lot more expensive than buying a jar of bread yeast at the grocery store.

As for "mineral feed", there are a couple of common "yeast nutrient" mixes used.

Most center around the fact that brewers want the yeast to multiply early on in order to ferment faster (results in a cleaner flavor). In theory for DIY CO2 production, you want long and slow, not fast and furious.

Nitrogen is often supplemented before fermentation in non-grain based media (Barley generally has plenty, but honey does not), usually in the form of diammonium phosphate (aka DAP) and or food-grade urea. Oxygen is generally introduced as well, usually just by aeration. Both of these aid reproduction.

Some other mixes are meant to "energize" yeast after it has been going and gets into a "stuck ferment". These mostly consist of some DAP, with B vitamins, magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) and broken-down dead yeast added for micronutrients. These are usually added in fairly small quantities (1/4 tsp per gallon of liquid).

These would probably be helpful, but the expense of these products probably isn't worthwhile for DIY co2. Adding new water/sugar/yeast will replenish the little bit of needed mineral content, probably for less money. At the size of a part-full 2-liter bottle, maybe a grain or two of epsom salt might help out, particularly if your water is soft, and is certainly cheap enough...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Interesting

Well I have had the mixture of 1 1/2 cups of brewers sugar, 1 tsp dry champagne yeast and just about a half tsp of baking soda. So far I have to say I am seeing AT LEAST double the action from my fine airstone diffuser, and bubble counter. Compared to the exact same mixture using common Bread Yeast. I am not sure the mineral dose is necessary at this point. I have amazing pearling on my plants and some of them are literally gassing off a steady stream! Growth is looking good too!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Heh, just be careful with how much you accelerate that ferment.. If you do it right yeast can do absolutely crazy things. I have managed to blast yeast foam onto the ceiling before, after it went nuts and clumps of yeast plugged up the 1/4" exit tube. (hint, this quickly became a highly pressurized vessel)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
When you switch from bread yeast to champagne yeast do you change the amount of yeast used or does it stay the same?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeast

From my short experience it seems to be the same amount. The yeast may be a little more active as far as the bubbles I am seeing compared to bread yeast, but the main difference is their tolerance to the alcohol build up in the later fermentation process. Though time will tell, I am going to try and feed the same mixture some sugar once I see the cO2 production slow down.

Bump: Ya I have been monitoring closely......The ol lady wouldn't be pleased with a yeast bomb!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode