mazzei set up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
mazzei set up

Hi everyone. I am setting up a 75 gallon tank and decided to use a mazzei injector to supply co2 to the tank and wanted to post what I have done so far with the mazzei set up. Here is a crude drawing I made in paint (click the bar to make bigger)
[IMG][/IMG]
I am using a 384P injector with a Gen-X pcx-40 water pump. The gen-x pump is rated at 1190 max gph and a head height max of 22'. It's just a simple input/output design , with a bypass on the return side for the mazzei. I am using 3/4 inch pvc for the input and output and the bypass is 1/2in. pvc.
The real reason I am posting this is because the size of mist coming out of this thing is amazing, I wouldn't even call it mist, it's more like a dust cloud or smoke coming out of it. I tried to take some pictures of it, they really don't do it justice though.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here are a few pictures of the bypass set up also:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The pump and plumbing sit behind the stand and I can make adjustments to the mazzei with the ball valve from inside the stand. The tank isn't set up yet, I just filled it so I could set up the plumbing for the mazzei and to make sure it all works well with no leaks or any problems.
From what I can see so far, this setup will work great for supplying co2 to the tank. I originally planned to use 2 needle wheel pumps in this tank because that's what I have in my 29 gallon and it works very well. I am glad that I decided to go with the mazzei though, there is no comparison. The needle wheel puts out a nice mist, but the injector is like a smoke cloud.
If anyone has any questions or suggestions about it, let me know please.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by jgb77; 08-20-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb77 View Post
It's just a simple input/output design , with a bypass on the return side for the mazzei. I am using 3/4 inch pvc for the input and output and the bypass is 1/2in. pvc.
John,
This is nice because I am just about to order a mazzei and I don't know which one to get. So is the 384 still working well with that pump? I have a similiar pump - Iwaki WMD-40RLT that pumps 800gph/21ft head. From the looks of it the 384 should work will for my pump as well. Did you notice much flow loss from the output of the mazzei?

also isn't the bypass 3/4" and the inlet outlet fittings on your mazzei 1/2"? Just looks that way from the picture.

How do you find you need to set the ball valve for it to work good?
Thanks,
Matt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
Did you notice much flow loss from the output of the mazzei?
If the proper size Mazzei is used you will not get much flow loss because you will not need to direct more flow towards the Mazzei. However, if you go bigger as most seem to do for some strange reason then you'll get diffuser type bubbles and not mist ....unless you direct more flow to create more pressure through the orifice of the bigger mazzei= flow loss.

Quote:
also isn't the bypass 3/4" and the inlet outlet fittings on your mazzei 1/2"? Just looks that way from the picture.
You can use any pipe size all that is needed is a " reducer.

Quote:
This is a must so that you can force the water flow to go towards the mazzei. The orifice of a 384P Mazzei is about 1mm in diameter so naturally the flow will go readily where it has the least restriction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
I think a sticky would be good for some of this information...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
John,
This is nice because I am just about to order a mazzei and I don't know which one to get. So is the 384 still working well with that pump? I have a similiar pump - Iwaki WMD-40RLT that pumps 800gph/21ft head. From the looks of it the 384 should work will for my pump as well. Did you notice much flow loss from the output of the mazzei?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, the tank isn't up and running yet, I just filled it after I set up the injector to make sure it would work properly and I had no leaks.
As far as flow loss though, if I close the ball valve completely, forcing all the water to go through the mazzei, I have significant flow loss because as mrkookm said the orifice is very small. The thing is though, I never have to close the valve that much at all. I haven't gotten the chance to really play around with it, but from what I've seen so far I will have the ball valve closed maybe 1/4. This results in very strong flow and a super fine mist.
I think that I am in a very good position because my pump is dedicated to just running the mazzei, so any flow loss I will have doesn't really matter, because I will have other main producers of water flow, like the canister filters.
I am planning to play around with it a bit more in the next few days so hopefully I can have more answers about performance.I'd be happy to answer any more questions you might have or any suggestions anyone might have about it.
John
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sounds cool

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode