DIY Filter and CO2 Diffuser Using Power Head and Sponge - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Filter and CO2 Diffuser Using Power Head and Sponge

OK, so I have been using Marineland Duetto 50 internal filters in two 10 gallon tanks. I like how the venturi hole feeds into the impeller, which makes them great for CO2, but I hate how easily they clog and how frequently I have to take them apart and clean them. So I've been looking for another solution that will give as good or better filtration with less hassle. I went through my unused equipment inventory and think I found a solution.

The equipment:

AquaTop PH-8 Power Head (rated 158 GPH)
ATI Filter Max I Pre-Filter
Aquatek Black CO2-Proof Tubing 16 ft.

Making it fit:

The ATI pre-filter comes with an array of attachments. Unfortunately, the ends that connect snugly over my power head's strainer are the same ends that fit into or over the strainer for the filter sponge. So I had to get creative. I used a Dremel to file down the top 1/4 inch or so of the sopnge's strainer until I could just fit it into the end of the straight attachment piece. Then I siliconed the two together and let it sit overnight.

The end result:

I drilled a 7/32 inch hole in the plastic stopper for the sponge. The CO2 tubing fits perfectly. I think I'm going to add some media inside the tubes and sponge strainer and look for a directional nozzle for the powerhead outflow. But this is what it looks like. Thoughts?

29G Community | 12G Edge | 10G Yellow Neo | 10G Mess |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 4G Fountain Vase |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twin 2.5's | 1G Cubus |

Last edited by cjstl; 08-28-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This filter will go in a tank that is used for raising shrimp and Endler fry. The sponge is kind of bulky and I wish it was black, but there is lots of surface area. It will go on the left side of my tank next to the heater (I'm trying to grow a moss wall along the back). Thinking I will place the power head towards the front of the tank and direct the nozzle diagonally across the tank.

Where would the optimum placement be for CO2 disbursement? Near the surface or slightly below the surface?

| 4G Fountain Vase |
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the silicone didn't hold. The strainer popped out. I sanded it down some more and decided to use super glue instead. My need for instant gratification took over Seems to be a tight fit now.

I added some Seachem Matrix into the tube. Not that I think I need additional bio-filtration with that big sponge, but it can't hurt. I also figured the chunks of Matrix will help break up the CO2 bubbles and slow the flow from the power head.

I also found a duckbill attachment for a Rio pump. It fits on the outflow, but it is made to spin, so I'm not sure how I'm going to like it. Worth a try though!

| 4G Fountain Vase |

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Im doing something similar. One thing I found that greatly helps the overall efficiency is to insert a tight piece of cotton ball or chopstick in the CO2 line to act as sort of a pre-diffuser.

Here's mine

The picture is using a piece of regular cotton ball. I since switched to a 1" piece of chopstick. The chopstick produces finer bubbles and last a lot longer. Cotton starts to pack up (or something) and the bubbles get bigger after about 10-14 days.

Another thing you can do is cut the blades of the propeller longways and spread them apart. There is a youtube video somewhere but I cant find it atm. I believe Hoppy posted it a long time ago. Here's a rough illustration -

Fingernail clippers work well to do the cutting. Then spread the two sections of blade apart, so that looking down from the top, each blade becomes a V. When I did mine the size of the bubbles in the mist went down by half, and my drop checker turned a couple shades lighter. There was no noticeable effect on the flow, although I suspect it had to drop a little bit. Im thinking about roughing it up some more...and also adding a spray bar.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Im doing something similar. One thing I found that greatly helps the overall efficiency is to insert a tight piece of cotton ball or chopstick in the CO2 line to act as sort of a pre-diffuser.

Here's mine

The picture is using a piece of regular cotton ball. I since switched to a 1" piece of chopstick. The chopstick produces finer bubbles and last a lot longer. Cotton starts to pack up (or something) and the bubbles get bigger after about 10-14 days.

Another thing you can do is cut the blades of the propeller longways and spread them apart. There is a youtube video somewhere but I cant find it atm. I believe Hoppy posted it a long time ago. Here's a rough illustration -

Fingernail clippers work well to do the cutting. Then spread the two sections of blade apart, so that looking down from the top, each blade becomes a V. When I did mine the size of the bubbles in the mist went down by half, and my drop checker turned a couple shades lighter. There was no noticeable effect on the flow, although I suspect it had to drop a little bit. Im thinking about roughing it up some more...and also adding a spray bar.
Thanks for the post. I never thought of clipping the impeller blades. That's an interesting idea. I'm hoping the Matrix that I placed in the tube will break the bubbles up quite a bit before they get to the impeller. I need to get a drop checker so I can check the levels. Right now the tank is an algae farm because I ran out of CO2 a while back and haven't cleaned the filter in way too long. I'm hoping this new contraption with a week or so of good CO2 clears out the blanket algae.

| 4G Fountain Vase |
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The filter is in. And it has turned the 10G tank into a vortex. Like a whitewater eddy in there

My lone RCS has been riding a circuit around the tank since I put it in yesterday. Can't tell if she's enjoying herself or not! I also added 8 juvy Endlers, and they're getting a workout. May need to look at ways to reduce the flow.

I haven't hooked up the CO2 yet, but the tube is connected and spooled up out of the tank. It is currently sucking in air through the tube, and I'm watching the fine mist of bubbles moving through the filter media. Looks like it will work great for CO2 dissolution.

| 4G Fountain Vase |
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Member

Put the filter on the output and co2 on the input. I did this once on a small tank for growing dwarf sag and the water was saturated with co2 and everything pearled like crazy.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
The filter is in. And it has turned the 10G tank into a vortex. Like a whitewater eddy in there

My lone RCS has been riding a circuit around the tank since I put it in yesterday. Can't tell if she's enjoying herself or not! I also added 8 juvy Endlers, and they're getting a workout. May need to look at ways to reduce the flow.

I haven't hooked up the CO2 yet, but the tube is connected and spooled up out of the tank. It is currently sucking in air through the tube, and I'm watching the fine mist of bubbles moving through the filter media. Looks like it will work great for CO2 dissolution.
I used to run the line in the same way into a Magnum 350 reactor. You can scroll through the pictures here:

Mars 2212…..100 Years after the Genesis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode