yeast mixture not producing CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question yeast mixture not producing CO2?

I've made my mixture according to http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

As many people seem to have done, but I seem to not be producing any CO2. I read https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...ot-create.html this thread, but I'd like some clarification. If I add another 1/4 tsp of yeast to my sugar mixture, do you think that will work, in case I killed it with water that was too hot? (It reacted properly before I put it in the sugar water, but I don't know what the temperature was of the sugar water. Just warmer than my skin, so... it might have been too hot.)

Also, how much water am I supposed to put in the bottle? The DIY CO2 website recommends 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, 1/4 tsp yeast and 1/4 cup of water - which doesn't really fill the 2 liter bottle very far.

I've sealed the caps of my bottles with gorilla glue, and I tested the tubing by blowing through it to make sure it is not clogged somewhere, and it does go through the diffuser, so I don't think it's the diffuser.

I should see bubbling in my bottles, right? 'cause after leaving it over night I'm not seeing any reactions.

I guess I'm just venting 'cause I'm going to put another 1/4 tsp of yeast in those bottles right now. Any advice will be welcome, though. (aside from "Go get canister CO2 instead!" lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
When did you set it up? It can take a while to get going....

How old was the yeast?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I set the thing up yesterday at around 9pm. (so it's been set up now for about 12 hours)

The yeast? I have no idea how old it was. I just bought it, and it didn't have any dust on it at the store so... ?? I got the kind that comes in a little jar. It did bubble in the cup and smell very yeasty (like bread) And when I unscrewed the cap from the bottles to add more yeast, it did make the depressurizing sound (that coke bottle "PSSHT!" sound?) like it was making the CO2. And I tested each bottle by squeezing it to make sure that it's not like, clogged at the bottle level and it does bubble through.

I duno, I'll let it sit for a couple of days. I set it on top of my tank now, to be near the light so it's warmer.... I'm thinking of taking my old 10 gallon out and putting water and a spare aquarium heater in it in case it's too cold in my house for reactions to occur. maybe I'll do that over lunch.

should the yeast mixture STAY at 110 degrees? 'cause I've got a fish-killer heater I can use.........

[Edit:] yeast has an expiration date of February 5th, 2010, so it SHOULD be good for a while. lol...

After a little bit, it seems there are bubbles in my bottles now. it's entirely possible that I mis-judged the sugar water and killed all my yeast with too-hot water. We'll see if it's bubbling in the tank after lunch.

I'll let you guys know!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
How about you leave it alone for five minutes? Fermentation-based systems can reach days until running at full capacity.

Usually one gets bubbles within a few hours, but the "pschhhhhhht" clearly indicated that pressure was building up. It's not necessary to heat the mixture (though some insulation is good against temperature drops - just use a towel or newspapers).

I would not touch the whole thing for 48 hours or so. If you still get nothing, start over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep, too hot water could have killed it.

Is the yeast Fleischmann's? Check which kind of yeast it says on the jar -- general purpose or bread machine yeast? It makes a little difference and is at least worth knowing.

Don't forget to put the jar of yeast in the fridge.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ZOMG! (yes, Z oh my god. I duno what the Z means, but it gives it more "oomph")

I just checked it and it's going like crazy mad! 1 bubble per 1.3 seconds. Is that too much for a 30 gallon???? omg... wow!

I could remove one of the bottles from my system and like, put it on an airstone or something on my 20 gallon... <(O.O)> My two fish seem to be hanging out near it. Are they suicidal, or just fascinated by the bubbles? yikes! Well... at least the mixture should cool down during the evening when the lights are off, and thus not kill everything with over-production.

wow! I've got bubbles! teehehehe!

Oh, and the yeast is fleichmans standard bread yeast (not the kind for a machine. I thought that might act too fast and then die too fast or something...). And the rest of the jar is currently residing in the fridge.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
ZOMG! (yes, Z oh my god. I duno what the Z means, but it gives it more "oomph")

I just checked it and it's going like crazy mad! 1 bubble per 1.3 seconds. Is that too much for a 30 gallon???? omg... wow!

I could remove one of the bottles from my system and like,
NO! Leave...it...alone!! It probably won't stay like this, this is pretty hardcore. But I have a 15 gallon tank and approximately 12 bpm; drop checker still says not enough CO2.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I haven't touched it yet. lol... neither of my fish are gasping at the surface or anything like that.

Still, though, 12 bubbles per minute is hardly anything, whereas I'm getting into 1 bubble per .75 seconds now. I moved the containers back to the floor where they started, and it continues to roil. I guess I can't expect too much, but I think I was hoping my plants would automatically start pearling. lol... though I hear pearling starts like, two hours after lights on. kinda ticks me off that I'm doing all this for the tank that sits behind me at my desk, so I can't just watch it, but I guess it would be really bad for my productivity if I stared at a fish tank all day...

can I expect my anubias nana petite to grow faster now? *prays*

What should I look for before I can add other fish to the tank? I was thinking of waiting until the plants had settled in and started growing like crazy before adding the rummy noses I want to add. (my angel that's in there is a 2 inch runt)

I should wait for it to slow down. ... omg, I'm so excited, I can't wait for my plants to start being weeds!

if it really works, I might set up the same system in my other higher-light tank!

:-D

*dance*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
Well, I haven't touched it yet. lol... neither of my fish are gasping at the surface or anything like that.

Still, though, 12 bubbles per minute is hardly anything, whereas I'm getting into 1 bubble per .75 seconds now.
Well, that depends very much on the kind of diffusor etc. you use. But actually, I got sick of the Hagen packs I was using (came with the set - didn't buy them), and made my own mix. Now I'm almost at 1/min and some of the bubbles are diffused before they leave the ladder.

I wanted to say a word about your anubias. Most of your plants will not go crazy because of some CO2, except it remains consistent and all other requirements are met equally well. You will of course get a nice boost, especially if your light matches the CO2. Alas, Anubias are no rockets and won't turn into rockets, no matter how good your parameters are; simply because they are slow growers.

That had at least been my perspective until now. I attached three Anubias nana 'petite' (from am member of this board) to a piece of driftwood. Now, in theory the Anubias were supposed to be shaded by floaters; in practice, those damn floaters died within hours, and now the Anubias are floodlighted by a whopping 4 wpg, 2" under the surface. One is shaded by an amazon sword, which helps a bit; the rest is entirely without shade. The effect: 4-6 new leaves within a few days and new shoots getting ready. Now, this spells algae doom within a month, but I decided to get as much out of the momentum as possible before nature realizes what's going on.

Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode