DIY Plumbing; Noisy Quiet One pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking DIY Plumbing; Noisy Quiet One pump

Finally! After one year I have water in my new tank .

No live plants yet. I want to wait until I know for sure that I will be home for a while (new job keeps sending me away for training).

The two occupants (Gourami and Pleco) seem happy. I do have a few plastic plants for the Gourami to hide in.

The plumbing consists of three whole house water filters hooked together with a Quiet One 2200 pump. The pump is rigged to pull water out of the filters and return it to the tank. Most of the plumbing is PVC, but there are two sections of clear flexible hose.

SInce the pump is not self priming, I made provisions for manual priming by means of some ball valves and a 'fill port'. There is also a valve for quickly draining the tank for full or partial water changes.

It took a while to get the pump to pump correctly. Even then, I can see air bubbles in the clear hose sections and the pump is noisier than I thought it would be.

My question is: Are the 'Quiet One' pumps supposed to be noisy, or is it because of air trapped in the system? Also, any ideas on how to get all the air out? Since I do not have live plants yet, I am running an air stone to keep the water oxygenated.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
The "QuietOne" pumps can be noisy beasts, especially when used externally. Look for vibration damping materials to put around them, keep in mind they might need some air flow when used externally or they might overheat.

Another possibility is that there is too much resistance in your system which can stress the pump, making it noisier. Supposedly some pumps work better when they are pushing water through the filter medium rather than pulling it out. On the other hand, most canister filters work by pulling water through the filter.

Have you just ran the pump without any attachments? Maybe in a bucket of water to get an idea how noisy it is under optimal flow conditions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Wasserpest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Another possibility is that there is too much resistance in your system which can stress the pump, making it noisier.
Could be. I just checked it a few minutes ago and it seems like the flow rate is reduced from what it was when first running. It has been on for about 3 weeks now. I will have to shut it down and check for clogged filters. The first filter of the three has one of those 5 micron string filters. Number 2 has some purigen, and the third has some generic 'Scotch Brite' pads (for bio filter). Substrate is flourite with 1/2 inch of gravel on top, so anytime I do anything there is a dust cloud released.
Quote:
Supposedly some pumps work better when they are pushing water through the filter medium rather than pulling it out. On the other hand, most canister filters work by pulling water through the filter.
I had debated this, but was thinking of the pump getting all gunked up if it was pulling water directly from the tank.

Quote:
Have you just ran the pump without any attachments? Maybe in a bucket of water to get an idea how noisy it is under optimal flow conditions?
I did run it submerged for a while. When I was soaking my wood I used the pump to empty the container(plastic 50 gal trash can). Worked fine until it started to pull air---then got real noisy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM

I think that the problem is that you are pulling the water with the pump instead of pushing it. The pressure drop before the pump maybe to great and it is causing the pump to cavitate making it noisy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Actually I think its a pressure AND its a flow issue. Filter media will slow water down as it travels through the media and it may be struggling to get enough water that it wants to push. I think reversing it is your best option. As far as it gunking up. No problem, use union fittings so you can easily remove it to flush it every few months. A little bit of maintenance to avoid long term cavitation of the pump.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree with switching the pump to 'push' the water through the filters.

You also might want to change the 5 micron to a larger size otherwise it will plug up too soon.

I also don't think the 2nd & 3rd cans will be functioning as well as you thought they would. In a typical house filter, the incoming water has to flow from outside the cartridge & then up through the center tube. Have you made a modification in those cans to accomplish this?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Last edited by deeda; 08-08-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Have you made a modification in those cans to accomplish this?
Just what sort of modification are you refering to?

On the 2nd and 3rd filters I have a piece of 1 inch PVC pipe cut to the correct length with holes drilled around one end. This is placed inside the filter with the holes going at the bottom. In this way the water comes in the outside of the filter, down through the media, into the pipe, and then out through the center.

Jim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

I use a Quite1one pump on my aquarium with a DIY canister filter and I can tell you from my own experiences with it that it's a noisy noisy pump.

However, some of the ideas already mentioned worked great in reducing the noise. Positioning the pump before the media helped, as placing it after strained the unit, causing the impeller to skip. Also, any air then gets into it causes a racket, so make sure no air is entering the intake. Any air in the pump will eventually dissolve, but tilting the pump back and forth helps to pass the air through. And the pump itself seems to vibrate a lot, so placing it on a sponge cuts down on the ambient noise.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Jim, yes that is what I was asking about whether you modified the cans. Good job describing it. Thanks.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode