Bulkhead for 1" hole - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bulkhead for 1" hole

Hey, so I goofed up big time. The short version is that I drilled a hole in my tank without finding a bulkhead that would fit in the hole ahead of time. Now I have a 1" hole and for a number of reasons, I can't make the hole bigger. Does anyone know where I can find a bulkhead with an outside diameter of 1"? All of the ones I'm finding are so thick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Why can't you enlarge the whole hole?

I bought to drilled 15s with a 1" hole and there is no fitting that works. I wound up using a drill with a drum sander on it and my dremel with an abrasive wheel and enlarged it because I didn't want to spring for the bit. I only had 2 tanks to do and it seemed a waste of money. Took about 20 minute for both tanks and I was being real careful not to let the glass get too warm. They now have 1/2" bulkheads and guppys in one angels in the other.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Why can't you enlarge the whole hole?

I bought to drilled 15s with a 1" hole and there is no fitting that works. I wound up using a drill with a drum sander on it and my dremel with an abrasive wheel and enlarged it because I didn't want to spring for the bit. I only had 2 tanks to do and it seemed a waste of money. Took about 20 minute for both tanks and I was being real careful not to let the glass get too warm. They now have 1/2" bulkheads and guppys in one angels in the other.
When I couldn't find the fitting, I thought I could get away with an adhesive solution, but that didn't work out. Unfortunately, the not working out part only became apparent after I had already aquascaped the tank. I'm pretty happy with the layout, and the plants are already stressed from a perioxide bath, so I'm not super keen on stripping it down again. Also, as you said, diamond hole saw blades aren't cheap!

The abrasive wheel idea is great. I think I'll go for that. Fortunately, pipe inside the tank is holding with some silicone, so I can just plug that up and dremmel away while the tank is still full of plants... I hope? I guess I don't have much of a choice!

Did you outline the larger hole diameter before brushing away? Got any tips on that?

Thanks for the advice so far!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My tanks were new and empty. No I didn't outline anything. Just kept going around and around and trying the fitting until it was snug. Then I went a touch more. Remember you only need to remove 1/16" all around to get to that extra 1/8". Be patient so you won't be a patient.

I kept feeling the glass to make sure I wasn't getting it too warm realizing I really didn't know what too warm was. You've got water in there so I don't know about that one. I would lower the level myself. I would also make some kind of a cardboard box to put around the area so all the filings don't go into the tanks. The bottom of the box as it's resting on the glass I would put tape adhesive side up so you keep all the filings out of the water. Sure the glass is only sand after but you have the aluminum oxide or garnet from the sandpaper also.

Before I tried the enlarging I was going to use electrical fittings (they don't have a tapered thread) and some rubber bushings. Glad I tried sanding it down first.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As an alternate and not knowing for sure how it might work, there might be some hope in checking various other options besides the standard bulkhead fittings. Have you checked various sizes of various PVC fittings like electrical conduit, schedule 40 or 80 plumbing? CPVC is another that may give more things to look over. When in a pinch, you can sometimes get lucky as bulkhead fittings don't always have to be the standard ones.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys! I successfully enlarged the hole with an abrasive bit and found an electrical fitting that was just perfect. Full update can be found here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode