Enlarging a hole in plastic barrel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Enlarging a hole in plastic barrel

I have a barrel with a 3/4" hole in it that I want to enlarge to 2". How would I do this? Apparently a hole saw will not work because the pilot bit has nothing to grab. Is there an alternative?

Would it be possible to:

Brace the barrel hole side down facing a 2x4 and then drill from the inside out using the 2x4 as something the pilot bit can purchase onto with the barrel sandwiched between?

The ultimate plan is to use a uniseal in the resulting hole.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I personally would put the drill in reverse. Start the drill and then contact the surface until you have enough channel cut as a guide. Then change the drill to forward and finish the cut. However, that technique is prone to error.

When I need to enlarge a hole for a door knob I use a different technique since accuracy is important. I cut a 2" hole in scrap wood. Then I clamp that over the existing hole and use it as a guide. I suppose you could do something similar.

Use the 2" circle piece of wood you cut out of scrap. Then screw it to another piece of scrap on the other side making sure to screw in the area that won't be cut. Now you have a reverse guide for your 2" cut. Don't tighten the screws enough to flatten the barrel or the hole will be slightly off.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I personally would put the drill in reverse. Start the drill and then contact the surface until you have enough channel cut as a guide. Then change the drill to forward and finish the cut. However, that technique is prone to error.

When I need to enlarge a hole for a door knob I use a different technique since accuracy is important. I cut a 2" hole in scrap wood. Then I clamp that over the existing hole and use it as a guide. I suppose you could do something similar.

Use the 2" circle piece of wood you cut out of scrap. Then screw it to another piece of scrap on the other side making sure to screw in the area that won't be cut. Now you have a reverse guide for your 2" cut. Don't tighten the screws enough to flatten the barrel or the hole will be slightly off.
^
That's what I would do. Make a guide using a 2" hole in a piece of wood.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
On the other hand does it have to be the same spot? Moving over to a new spot is real simple?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think what PlantedRich proposed should work.

If the current hole is 3/4", it should fit fairly easily twixt the pilot bit and the edge of the holesaw.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Do you guys suggest I use a uniseal or bulkhead for this application? My container is a little flimsy and I'm scared a uniseal will break it. Or alternatively I think just adding another smaller hole instead of enlarging it would be better since I won't have to worry about bulkhead vs uniseal since I know a bulkhead will work.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Flimsy?

Add a piece of acrylic to beef up the area around the bulkhead fitting.

Bulkheads are made for thick walls so don't be shy about layering.

Just be sure to use silicone on both sides of the bulkhead hole for insurance. As if the silicone are the primary gaskets.

Cheers!

-PhilipS ><>º

Mr50's, Killer Plants, Whiskey Pond
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure what you're using the barrel for. If you need a large pipe use a uniseal. If not bulkheads will work up to a maximum of around one inch. Uniseals are for curved surfaces.

I've never used a uniseal on a very flimsy hole before. I agree with your doubts about it working. Those things can be a bear to get installed even with lubrication.

Here is a video on enlarging the hole. So simple...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIEsgCJ0fc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The barrel is for a gravity fed trickle filter. The current set up isn't quite working as well as I had hoped. there's too much water for the gravity outlet to handle and I don't want to throttle it back because then the venturi won't work.

Regardless I'm thinking just putting in another spout instead of enlarging the current one will be the easiest and safest route.

That's a great video btw. That was the general plan that I was advised by some diy folks on another forum.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm confused. Trickle filters have large inputs from gravity and smaller pressurized outputs. The gravity flow equalizes to the output. If you can't get enough from the gravity feed you have no choice but to use a larger size. Otherwise, the pump will run dry. What am I missing?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry I meant gravity return. The filter is pump fed.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode